• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MMM-2020 Do335 B-6 Nightfighter

MMM-2020 Do335 B-6 Nightfighter

I have paint on it. Hopefully this will dry by tomorrow so I can continue. It is a bit tacky to the touch still. (Old Testors enamels)

MMM-2020-Do335-46.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-47.jpg

Tonight I dug through my old decal stuff and am going to use some ancient Lettraset dry transfers. I have used them before and they do work but it has been ages. Usually they tend to be ok if kept in a closed container or something similar. If not I will have to mask and spray. I have some good decals for the Swastika to go on the rudder, and will pilfer some from other 1/72 sheets to give some lettering hints on things like the drop tanks and a few other spots.

Spotty coverage....:rotf

Nice job so far Paul, git'er done.

MMM-2020 Do335 B-6 Nightfighter (it has paint)

Nifty paint job! Nice bit of Pfeil all around! :good:

Thanks for looking in guys.

I set it up in front of a small fan overnight to help push the drying. It helped a lot, definitely a lot less tacky now. Wasn't real bad before unless you were holding it for a little bit in the same spot, then it was a bit tacky.

Have some small items that need work so I guess I will leave it to dry a bit longer and deal with the tiny stuff.

Thanks Luiz!

I just thinned the paint and did it freehand with the Sotar 20/20 slim airbrush I have. I also finally figured out why I always had trouble with my Krome. The hole at the back of the cup where the needle goes back on it to the trigger and such was a little offset. With just the needle and rear seal in place the needle would always press to the right and never center. Using my long super thin escapement round file I opened the hole up to allow the needle to true up and then used a cutting broach to retrue the roundness of the hole. That brush works more like the Sotar now than it ever did before. My guess is it was always messed up from the factory.

I tried the dry transfer German crosses tonight and they were a no go. I then remembered that I had some really nice photo etch stencils from Alliance Model Works. I dug through the 1/48th set and found some that worked just fine for the crosses. The one for the fuselage sides was a bit of a pain as it had to curve quite a bit around the fuselage, but I was able to make it work. That part is now done so I now need to dig up some detail decals for the various little things that need to be highlighted, and mask off the pilot's canopy frames.

Tomorrow will be a busy day.

Thanks Chris and Mark. I am really getting a paint work out on this one. No decals. Luckily I invested in some nice PE stencils many years ago. I am also cutting some of my own for some items that are needed and futzing on some of the smaller stuff. It's coming along, but it is a bit of a pain.

Photos later. I will probably be pushing up to the wire on this one.

That's just a little outstanding, Paul... :v

Ian.

Thanks for looking in Gary and Ian!

Today was a pain. Nothing I had planned really worked. I thought that the dry transfer stuff might still work, NOPE! Everything had to be painted. Here are some quick photos. Holding of on landing gear and all the pointy delicate stuff till last thing as it is taking a lot of handling at this point.

MMM-2020-Do335-48.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-49.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-50.jpg

Wish me luck on getting the last parts done. I am sure it will run down to the wire so it might get a time stamp photo to get the finish line done.

That is a Beauty Paul! Nice Job, the mottling reminds me of a Heinkel He-219 and it is very well done.

You still have a few hours left!

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for looking in Gary and Ian!

Today was a pain. Nothing I had planned really worked. I thought that the dry transfer stuff might still work, NOPE! Everything had to be painted. Here are some quick photos. Holding of on landing gear and all the pointy delicate stuff till last thing as it is taking a lot of handling at this point.

MMM-2020-Do335-48.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-49.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-50.jpg

Wish me luck on getting the last parts done. I am sure it will run down to the wire so it might get a time stamp photo to get the finish line done.

Pauls Air Tunnel...:rotf

Looking good Paul. :popcorn

Got 'er dun! Just under the wire. PAIN IN THE CANNOLLI!

Here's the photos.

MMM-2020-Do335-51.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-52.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-53.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-54.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-55.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-56.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-57.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-58.jpg

This is definitely NOT an easy kit. For one thing it needs a new pilots canopy as the sides at the rear of the canopy bulge out. I sanded them down and polished them in. Looks OK, but not a good kit. I would give it about a 3/10 Done it looks decent enough and the work I did in the wheel wells paid off. Could have been so much better. Anyway now on to something new.

Thanks for looking in!

Turned out great Paul despite the cannoli! Thanks for sticking with it! :good:

Thanks Dave! I am fairly satisfied with it. You don't see too many 1/72 Do335 builds, and won't of this kit, it is that bad. I have learned a lot of techniques to make the plastic parts fit in spite of themselves.

Am thinking that while I am on a night fighter kick I should finish an old Trimaster kit I started many moons ago. I built that up through paint just before I joined MA. I could redo the odd ball posts and put a new post on the new site and get something else finished relatively quickly.

Back