• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MMM-2020 Do335 B-6 Nightfighter

As poor as this kit fits, it was easier to jig it up for the tail feathers. Yeah they had tabs and slots, but they just did not have any real set alignment place. Once I jigged it up, I must have fiddled with them for an hour before getting satisfied with how they looked. They would slide front to back, outer tips angled up and down, and the hardest part, getting them angled right front to back. I had to work to get the gaps between the elevators and the tail piece consistent and looking the same.

Fit on this kit is about a 3 in 10. :bang head It was easier to jig it up than to do little things to prop them in place while the glue dried.

Been sanding and adding putty. Then using a file, then sanding stick, then more putty, then repeat. Rescribe the lines on the leading and trailing edges of the wings. Then more sanding. Also the main canopy is a piece of garbage. For now I will just paint and tack it on. Later I will cut the rear part off and VAC it with some clear polycarbonate.

I have been using some liquid fortitude. (since I have been on vacation) More FILLER time.

head_beat_on_wall.gif
ha297a99.jpg

I feel your pain Paul! Still, you are at least making progress.

I think I'll start doing a bit more liquid fortitude as well.

Been sanding and adding putty. Then using a file, then sanding stick, then more putty, then repeat. Rescribe the lines on the leading and trailing edges of the wings. Then more sanding. Also the main canopy is a piece of garbage. For now I will just paint and tack it on. Later I will cut the rear part off and VAC it with some clear polycarbonate.

I have been using some liquid fortitude. (since I have been on vacation) More FILLER time.

head_beat_on_wall.gif
ha297a99.jpg

It´s not easy my friend :bang head ...for sure , it will be a great model (y)

Best!

Luiz.

Way to go Paul! I actually saw this kit at the LHS and did consider getting it.

It really looks good in the box, and the shapes are decent. Fit is rather poor. The fit is as if they did the molds and went with what they had and never built a prototype. I am in the initial paint stages now (finally) so maybe some photo updates later (maybe tonight).

I did manage to get a lot of the grunt smoothing, blending, and rescribing done this last weekend. Landing gear are partially painted, props are assembled, and other details are coming together. This is one rough kit. I have had limited run kits that fit better than this thing.

But, it is coming along and looking fairly decent in spite of itself. Here are some new pics.

MMM-2020-Do335-34.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-35.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-36.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-37.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-38.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-39.jpg

At 6 PM Tuesday the Memphis metro area goes on stay home for 2 weeks, (possibly more) luckily for me I have a good job and employer. So I now should have plenty of bench time. Now that I am in the groove again, I am pondering what to work on when this is done.

Thanks Luiz!

As of today at 6PM Memphis is shut down for at least 2 weeks. First order is finish this beast. It is I feel over the hump and I will be hitting it with paint probably tomorrow. Then I have desire to build another German aircraft. Probably a good thing as the next kit I have 13 kits in 1/32 scale. Four of them are conversions, so I will start with one of the basic units (11 of them are Eduard kits) and go from there.

But I get ahead of myself. first things first, finish this little beastie.

Nice work as always Paul. I've built a few of the 1/72 Dragon kits and they are always a challenge. Had one kit with a major flaw on the canopy.

I really expected it to be much better Dave. It is coming along, but the main canopy won't cut it for the long haul. I will have to do some kind of a vac redo on part of it. The really surprising part is just how far off some of this stuff is. It's like lets just make the molds and that is good enough. I doubt they ever did much of a test build on it.

Well this afternoon is paint time. Had a nice visit with Letterman and now eating lunch and back to it.

I really expected it to be much better Dave. It is coming along, but the main canopy won't cut it for the long haul. I will have to do some kind of a vac redo on part of it. The really surprising part is just how far off some of this stuff is. It's like lets just make the molds and that is good enough. I doubt they ever did much of a test build on it.

Well this afternoon is paint time. Had a nice visit with Letterman and now eating lunch and back to it.

Sounds like you're describing Eduard products...

Cheers, Christian B)

Sounds like you're describing Eduard products...

Cheers, Christian B)

I have an "ANCIENT" Eduard 1/48th Hanover D.II kit that was one of those limited run jobs. It was rough and had many issues, but I think it was a better kit than this. Worked on the landing gear and external details today with a fair amount of paint work done.

I have been taking advantage of the extra time off and slogging through this build. It is coming along and looking good so far, but man is it a pain.

MMM-2020-Do335-40.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-41.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-42.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-43.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-44.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-45.jpg

Today will be paint. Still not sure what I will do. The RLM75 grey violet spots over RLM76 light blue most likely. Still lots of work on this as many parts have to go on in stages. Here is what I still have to do:
[ol]
[li]Paint the camoflage[/li]
[li]Paint the canopy[/li]
[li]Place decals[/li]
[li]Clear coat and add weathering[/li]
[li]Hand paint small details[/li]
[li]Attach landing gear and doors[/li]
[li]Paint propellers[/li]
[li]Attach front prop into nose and attach nose (no it isn't glued yet)[/li]
[li]Build, paint, and attach radar antennas[/li]
[li]Attach rear prop[/li]
[/ol]

Definitely a pain in the cannoly kit. I have 4 days, and "maybe" I can finish it in time.

I have paint on it. Hopefully this will dry by tomorrow so I can continue. It is a bit tacky to the touch still. (Old Testors enamels)

MMM-2020-Do335-46.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-47.jpg

Tonight I dug through my old decal stuff and am going to use some ancient Lettraset dry transfers. I have used them before and they do work but it has been ages. Usually they tend to be ok if kept in a closed container or something similar. If not I will have to mask and spray. I have some good decals for the Swastika to go on the rudder, and will pilfer some from other 1/72 sheets to give some lettering hints on things like the drop tanks and a few other spots.

Back