• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M3 Lee

And Oh yeah....
20240906_194054.jpg

I'm kinda thinking of diving right in after this build with all the thoughts about the kit still in my head.

Getting more panels up.
20240907_183957.jpg
20240907_184006.jpg

20240907_184026.jpg

I'm really surprised this is going together so well. The drive gear for the 75mm traversing gear fitted so well that the gun would not travel! I sanded it down a bit and it now moves.

Today's update cause I'm really feeling a grove on this build.

Only fit issue I have run into is self inflicted. The area I built up to give that rear screen a frame has built up the attachment point for the side armor overhang thing on the rear end.

1725836011194.png

Quick swipe with a razor saw solves this problem.
20240908_173909.jpg

Why is that side panel interior white? Cause I didn't know what I was doing that's why! I didn't know what was inner or outer surface when I was painting.

20240908_173917.jpg

My rust treatment around the pepper box exhaust stack might be over done. Ill hit it with some OD to tone it down.

20240908_174625.jpg

Really pleased with the fit all around. I added some solder line to represent the antenna wire but when I put the roof back on it was totally hidden unless you look up and inside from the rhs door. Why am I painting it like I am, cause I'll have so many open doors it'll be a lot of over shots with my ham fisted approach to painting.
:soldier

Thanks guys, the roof is actually attached now and I'm prepped to do an overall OD as all the panels are in place. I have a better grasp of how to build this going to the next one.

This is one.... :stinker:

I know there were not many, they took up some room and I'm sure they were very noisy inside the tank.
The guns were more trouble than they were worth. They were designed to fight WW1 again when tanks would advance with the infantry, provide suppresion fire and take out gun positions with their main guns once they were identified. They would then exploit any break through like traditional horse cavalry would, rampaging through the enemy rear echeleon. The driver had enough work to do driving the tank and manoeuvring it to employ the 75mm without worrying about employing the twin .30's plus the added workload of stripping and cleaning two more guns after every action and was soon declared useless.

The British ordered the removal of the twin .30's from the Lee and Grant in January 1942 and the holes plugged. Some of the vehicles still had the ports so they may have been plugged from the inside or left open when the guns were removed. It is unlikely they were ever used when they entered combat in North Africa in May 1942.

The US began removing one gun and plugging the hole in March 1942. The order to remove both guns was issued in June 1942. It appears the gun ports remained throughout M3/Lee/Grant production but were plugged at the factory on late production vehicles. Very early Shermans also had twin fixed guns in the hull, but they disappeared early in production.

The first Sherman delivered to the UK at Horse Guards May 1942
The_British_Army_in_the_United_Kingdom_1939-45_H19582.jpg

Cheers,
Rich B

. It appears the gun ports remained throughout M3/Lee/Grant production but were plugged at the factory on late production vehicles
And in this kit there are 3 parts for the various options, plugged or unplugged. :vgood:

Good stuff Rich. Thanks.

Lulubelle from the 1995 version of Sahara is noiw residing at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. It is an ex-Australian Army vehicle. Apparently Jim Belushi autographed the inside of the right hand sposon door.

lulubelle 95.jpg

Cheers,
RichB

Back