• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Last of the Gunfighters

Paulw

I have been building on this for the past few weeks. Trumpeter 1/32 F8J. I am back dating it to a C model where I need to leave off some of the avionics and get the VF-111 decals for a group build I am doing on MBI.

This is going rather well and is fitting and looking better than the F-100 in my opinion. There are,as with most Trumpeter kits, some issues but mostly negligible. The engine is the same as the F-100 but the fuse doesn't come apart to display it so all it does is hold the flame ring and AB can in place.

The gear bays are nice with plenty of detail and all kinds of detail in the gun bays and turbine generator to float a rock.

The intake isn't seamless so I mad a slurry of squadron white and acetone and painted it in the intake and it shouldn't be a prob to sand down.
005-15_zps43bdb345.jpg

001_zps1f6f69cd.jpg

006-17_zpsbaad36ee.jpg

IMG_2198_zps96c1fda0.jpg

IMG_2149_zpsa03bb1a6.jpg

IMG_2147_zpsabd7798a.jpg

So far its a very nice build but the biggest problem is the gallons of white and gull gray I am going to need to paint this monster.

:gogo

Go Paul go. She will be a great build. How did you do the instrument panel.

Well Ryan I sprayed it with Vallejo barley gray then with my optivisor and 300x magnification then filled in the rest and added about 6 decals.

I got most of it PSR today. then assembled the wings ah battled a huge problem with the slats and the wing tips. got the sort of acceptable and primed. So Ill let it cure for a couple of days before I get back to it.

I got a new interest to go and try to complete this big boy. I laid some paint on it and I know the gray seems a tad dark but see, I have this silly idea that all will be well in the end.
I popped off the canopy because it laid crooked and had a lot of gaps to fill. I also started assembling the gear doors and put the air brake in the up position and thats also going to require a bit of sanding and filling and sanding, etc,etc.

The wing however, is another matter. if I ever get another one of these I will not follow the instructions and look more at reference photos.

IMG_2274_zps964ef4d7.jpg

IMG_2275_zpsafc0b57c.jpg

IMG_2276_zpsd281d8b7.jpg

IMG_2277_zpsc2f02ca4.jpg

IMG_2278_zpsf78b4581.jpg

Well tomorrow is another day and more fun on the Vought assembly line.

You and your silly ideas Paul :rotf Naw just messing with you. Looks great. I've got the old 1/48 Revell version that I've been tempted to pull out and build one of these days.

Looking good Paul. Whats wrong with the wings though?
James
Its mostly the amount of parts to assemble the wings and the slats, the slats to me seem just a smidge too long and the tend to buckle up in the middle

Ahhh , interested in hearing how that works out. My Crusader is sitting because I had to scratchbuild a catapult well for it and just ended up shelving it. Never tried the slats. Might take it down and check them out. One thing I hate though are the PE hinges. They are a pain to install.
James

hahahaha James. The slats dont have hinges, neither do the flaps. Just glue em on and hope for the best :rotf

thanks and its nearing completion so dont expect a champ when I am done but it will be acceptable.

Back