• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Korean Sherman: Done

Re: Korean Sherman

Ok, to get the full effect this has to have a base. The original picture showed the tank in a hull down position along a road. I'll borrow from the various techniques I've seen all you guys do to build up an embankment and road with another embankment falling off to the right hand side of the Sherman.

Mike build this base frame a long time ago, Thanks again Mike!

Sherman007.jpg

Question is, is it too big for what I have planned? Who knows, might be a jeep to show up in there..

Re: Korean Sherman

It's too big unless you plan to use the Jeep. We can do another one pretty easy, let me know the dimensions. :drinks

Korean Sherman

Nice base, but you will have a lot of filling to do Bob. Just the tank and even a jeep on the road would leave a lot of real-estate on either side to fill in.
James

Korean Sherman

I got his working in my mind right now. I'll explain when I can get all this sorted out. Think I know how they got the M2 mount rigged.

Here's where it originally was.
Sherman008.jpg

hope you can see what i'm doing here. When studying this earlier today I thought they had just swapped the gun mount (1) with the Travel Lock (3) moving also the Travel Lock mounting (2). But when I got home and study closer, looks to me they removed the Travel Lock, placed it about where the Gun Mount should be, and left the Travel Lock mount in place. They moved the entire Gun Mount forward of the Travel Lock mount.

scanturret.jpg

scanturret2.jpg

1 Gun Mount
2 Travel Lock mount
3 Travel lock

and it's going somewhere around here.

Sherman009.jpg

In this shot, I have the Gun Mount block over the attachment spot for the Travel Lock, it should be further forward.

I know this may sound confusing...comments and discussion is greatly appreciated!

Korean Sherman

Here is my thought and the logic behind it.

The old mount (O1) and its distance to clip mount (2) should be constant as it would be what any field mechanic would do.

So, if you move it to the new mount location (N1), then the clip (3) must be at the same distance that was for O1 and 2. Is that clear when looking at the image?

M4A3Korea.jpg

Regards,

Korean Sherman

Well my attention is getting drawn back here again. Been thinking about the rack for the ammo cans on the turret. Mike and I have been discussing it a bit and I now think i'm totally wrong thinking this was a T bracket holding up the rod.

It looks to me now that it's all constructed out of steel rod of some sort.

Submitted for your review
scanturret3.jpg

my mistake was that I was looking at the construction on the other side which is hard to see. The RHS stuff can be clearly seen, I blew this up from the original scan.

Shoot, this may be easier than I thought...pictures later. :coolio

Korean Sherman

Inventory of the styrene scratch stock shows nothing smaller than 1.mm and that's to thick. Plenty of brass stock. Going to break out the soldering stuff!

you know, it almost looks like rebar.

Korean Sherman

Fun with solder and torch

OK it wasn't so much fun but I did get it to work

I used .5mm brass pipe cause I figure it would be easier to bend.

Used the kit Jerry Can to form the frame around it.

Sherman011.jpg

Sherman012.jpg

Sherman013.jpg

Sherman015.jpg

Sherman016.jpg

Sherman017.jpg

Sherman018~0.jpg

Sherman019~0.jpg

Sherman010.jpg

Kinda ugly but good enough for government work. :dance

As you can see, my soldering skills need some work. Only had one rack strong enough to stand the bending. At least I have parts for the other racks so no big deal.

Sherman020~0.jpg

Sherman021~0.jpg

Whatcha think?

Korean Sherman

Moonpuppysan! The racks look like they ought to work, that round stock doesn't give much surface area to grab together. Wonder if you could file a half round spot for the bars to join, that would help get more solder in the joint? :soldier

Korean Sherman

Not bad. As mike said, maybe more surface area would help. You going to re solder the others or glue them? That Sherman is looking pretty nice (y) (y) (y)
James

Korean Sherman

Hey Bob, that looks pretty good to my eyes . Ditto on what the others said.
A resistance soldering outfit sure would be nice for those solder joints :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

Korean Sherman

Thanks guys, figured out my problem. Too much heat to fast. I was basically burning up the solder before it had a chance to do what it's made to do. I backed off the blowtorch some and let the solder melt into place. Made 3 new racks already and they are solid as a rock.

Back