• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ki-46 III 'Dinah' * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

When I suggested this campaign there were a few classic recon (aircraft) types that immediately sprang to mind. The Canberra, the Mk XI Spitfire, the Fw189, the SR71 and the 'Dinah'. Virtually immune from interception until the last few months of the Pacific war, it quietly went about it's business almost effortlessly...

...and it looked/looks fantastic.

h29e6354.jpg

h3fb6630.JPG

Mine arrived from Lucky Model today, as did the Eduard etch and mask sets, but these came-in from Hannants in the UK. This will hit the bench this week alongside the Hawk and the P-38. But before that, I need to publicly thank our very own Scrodes(Matt) for scanning and eMailing pics of the Ki-46's cockpit straight form his superb 'Japanese Interiors' book. Big, big help, Matt and very much appreciated.

Formal start-up photo's soon, in the meantime, I need to decide which squadron marking it'll end-up wearing.

More soon.

Ian.

Ki-46 III 'Dinah'

:pilot and off we go again !!

h2ab365d.jpg

First thing I did was mix-up a batch of light olive to match the Eduard etch. I used four parts Tamiya 'Deep Green' to one part 'Chromate Yellow'. Once this was dry I dry brushed it in a light yellowish green then left the whole thing for a day or so to dry:

You'll also see that some elements of the etch set have been added and of course, Colin the Carpet Monster did manage to swallow-up a couple of pieces, so there's some scratch-built boxes and smaller bits in-place aswell.

hd4b439a.jpg

h64fe489.jpg

h05cb8e4.jpg

h400d2ad.jpg

More in a min' standby....

Ian.

Ki-46 III 'Dinah'

Next a dirty 'Raw Umber' oil wash:

h4e3c195.jpg

h31380e4.jpg

hc788403.jpg

h24bbac8.jpg

Not too much subtlety employed here, a No2 brush and make sure there's not too much 'pooling'. Couple of boxes and details painted as you can see. Again, I left this for 24hrs before another 'assault'.

Ian.

Ki-46 III 'Dinah'

Most of the etch goodiness is in place now, together with the throttle quad, and seats. Also I carefully painted all the topsides of the ribbing and the edges of the bulkheads etc, with a pale grey-green just to make them 'pop' a little more.

h3b0da59.jpg

hdba5e62.jpg

h4e52b3e.jpg

h121d9c6.jpg

hd85cddf.jpg

h2072686.jpg

As this is written, I still need to add the large vertical camera in the rear and some more etch. I've checked the fit and it should all join together without any complications. More next week sometime, not too much time for modelling just now as 'Daddies Little Stormtroopers' are on Spring Break... apparently it's my responsibility to look after them at the moment, so I'd better do as I'm told :idonno .

AFN

Ian.

Ki-46 III 'Dinah'

May I suggest going back and dry brushing the fuselage sides . That is terribly dark for their finishes

Cheers, Christian B)

Ki-46 III 'Dinah'

Movin' along....

hb75b766.jpg

(rhetorical question), How much do I love Eduard pre-painted etch :love

hb3515f1.jpg

h6deca28.jpg

hf57427d.jpg

hf67aad2.jpg

h8e21f29.jpg

ha2de61e.jpg

Didn't forget about the pre-shading, simply decided to go without it and build the model as a relatively new and tidy machine. Just a wee step away from my usual 'comfort zone'.

More soon.

Ian.

Back