• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hobby Boss F6F-3 Hellcat

Well, it's critique time. There are certainly some issues! Other than adding a mechanic I think it is finished. It got a little shot uo in the process. I practiced making bullet holes on the little Mustang carcass. I now know that I should make them before assembly to grind down the thickness of the plastic from the inside with a dremel. That would have taken fore-thought! Anyway, see what you think...
20220914_222225.jpg
20220914_222237.jpg
20220914_222250.jpg
20220914_222310.jpg
20220914_222352.jpg
20220914_222551.jpg
20220914_222659.jpg

And here is my bullet hole reference
00e32c0849a8fedbf920e82e9c94fa0e.jpg

I really like your paint job Greg, you can really see your artist skills here.
As for the bullet holes I think what you have is a bit large, that looks more like someone took a large, REALLY large gauged weapon to it from the side. You have to remember the angle of deflection that an aircraft would be taking when being shot at by another aircraft. You've already pointed out that the skin of the aircraft is really thin so we'd need to thin out the area where damage would be. I've seen folks cut out an entire section and replace it with brass to get that effect.

I'm interested in this poor K-29 aircraft and what it went through to got so beat up.

I really like your paint job Greg, you can really see your artist skills here.
As for the bullet holes I think what you have is a bit large, that looks more like someone took a large, REALLY large gauged weapon to it from the side. You have to remember the angle of deflection that an aircraft would be taking when being shot at by another aircraft. You've already pointed out that the skin of the aircraft is really thin so we'd need to thin out the area where damage would be. I've seen folks cut out an entire section and replace it with brass to get that effect.

I'm interested in this poor K-29 aircraft and what it went through to got so beat up.
Dang it, I thought they were too big!

So my understanding is the Naval Aviators were not assigned specific aircraft and the score cards were not that widely used. I've read that there's a photo of Joe Foss sitting in a cockpit with kill flags and that aircraft was just setup for the photo op. I wonder if this is it? Why else would the WAVE be sitting in the cockpit with that cap on?

I made the holes smaller. I am OK with it now I think.
My thought was that he was basically in the wrong airspace at the wrong time and caught some stray bullets from the upper left side meant for another. No serious harm done, but enough to pucker up.

Attachments

• 20220915_200956.jpg
    20220915_200956.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
Well, it's critique time. There are certainly some issues! Other than adding a mechanic I think it is finished. It got a little shot uo in the process. I practiced making bullet holes on the little Mustang carcass. I now know that I should make them before assembly to grind down the thickness of the plastic from the inside with a dremel. That would have taken fore-thought! Anyway, see what you think...
View attachment 153306View attachment 153307View attachment 153308View attachment 153309View attachment 153310View attachment 153311View attachment 153312

And here is my bullet hole reference
View attachment 153313
IF memory serves, this is one of Butch O'Hare's airplanes. This is a F6F-3, circa 1943. The black and white picture doesn't make the red surround on the national insignia look very red, do it? This Hellcat was flown to the Grumman factory in Bethpage, NY to show the factory employees how much damage their product could absorb and still bring it's pilot back to the ship. We are led to believe the WAVE posed in the cockpit was the pilot that flew Butch's well ventilated mount to the Grumman plant. Not only tough, but forgiving and easy enough for a girl to fly.

IN YOUR FACE Imperial Japanese Navy pilots! A similarly perforated Zero may fall into the ocean with all the grace of a flaming hunk of newsprint.

O'Hare was who I was thinking about but that pr shot was in a Wildcat. I saw a colorized photo of this. I'm kinda doubting she flew that in wearing that uniform.

O'Hare was who I was thinking about but that pr shot was in a Wildcat. I saw a colorized photo of this. I'm kinda doubting she flew that in wearing that uniform.
One should think not. The photo of the dazzling WAVE in her dress uniform must have inspired lots of Americans, just as the war in the Pacific was beginning to show the IJN was not, after all, invincible.
Sorry for hijacking your Hellcat thread, Greg!:smack:

We are led to believe the WAVE posed in the cockpit was the pilot that flew Butch's well ventilated mount to the Grumman plant. Not only tough, but forgiving and easy enough for a girl to fly.
Ha Ha, Chris, you better be checking your six for Jackie Cochrane's ghost!

Sir, with all respect and affection, Miss Jaqueline Cochrane was an Army Air Corps WASP. She was an outstanding pilot nonetheless.

Back