• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hellcat for Hell in the Pacific

The Tricolor scheme predates the solid blue scheme so only thing that could be bleeding through would be primer. Which would have been that Grumman Grey, light grey, it would have been darker than the White that's on the underside.

Maybe that's the thing to do, just chip it with light grey.

hellcat_001a.jpg

F-5F_001a.jpg

Don't know for sure but it's not like they did not get grubby .

Cheers, Christian

Interesting photos. Not sure what is going on with that wing Bob. My first thought was maybe oil being thrown back from a plane in front of the Hellcat on the deck :unsure:

I'll vote for a variety of dirty things, as usual. ;) Oily hands- just watch films of all those deck monkeys pushing things around in big groups. Slop from the planes in front as those mass launches were lined up- it was no car wash, ladies...

I'd guess cordite from the guns and blow back through the ejection ports.
James

All the way out the wing? But that is interesting, I use to say that you rarely saw the blast blow back because they would clean it quickly but that's not the case here. Maybe the fact that Carrier aircraft didn't have the maintenance schedule ground aircraft had. I remember reading about the Iwo Jima based Mustangs, the mechanic saying they kept their birds spotless because there was nothing else to do there.

Also think about the wing fold and taxiing while folded. Seen several shots where engines are running and wings still folded.

I think Chris is right that these carrier birds would not get cruddy like the land based ones would but still, lots of muck around the hanger and flight decks.

Think I'll try Chuck's Mopping? technique he showed us a while back on the Helldiver. :pilot

Thanks for the feedback guys. :drinks

Thanks guys. Now you see why I went so far with the fading, it really gets lost when you get the clear coats on.

Hellcat22.jpg

Hellcat23.jpg

Hellcat24.jpg

Hellcat25.jpg

Hellcat26.jpg

Hellcat27.jpg

Hellcat28.jpg

The top side stuff is not showing nearly as well as the underside. I've given both equal treatment, guess the dark colors get lost.

Still debating on how much chipping this would have gotten, I mean down to the metal chipping. I don't know for sure but I feel confident that the US Aircraft Carriers knew about FOD and took steps to prevent it. Not like dust and pebbles are getting thrown up all over the place. And you look at that reference photo I posted a while back, it's dirty yes,,,chipped up? Not so much.

Need to get the exhaust done over the wings, any suggestions on how to do that?

Aren't you short one ground crew member? :D

I really like what you've done with this one! Might I suggest very thin Tamiya Smoke for the exhaust? Or dark grey pastel/chalks? (y)

Back