• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hellcat for Hell in the Pacific

It's more than just black smoke Mike, there's a lot of ash color in there, look at some of the color photos of the Hellcat, even contemporary photos show the same staining.

Maybe a bit of very fine chipping on very leading edges. Salt spray beats up an aircraft pretty good. I think it would be hard to see on that scale.
For exhaust I have some sepia and burnt sienna hard pastels that I scrape off to make a pigment. Use the burnt sienna with a gue tip and block in the exhaust trail. Heavier towards the center. It will discolour the paint in a nice heat distressed way. Only in the center and just back from the exhaust use the sepia or black for the smoke.
James

Looking better each update Bob! (y)

chipping - my guess for these AC would be around the most used access panels and walk areas ?

Just watched Flying Leathernecks. :pilot :duke

Too many Hellcats not to get inspired. Time to hit the bench a bit tonight.

But then again..Battleground is on next.

Ha! Really close, you know I got a bit distracted there for a couple of weeks...:geek

Thanks for prodding Gary. (y)

Here's all I got right now.

Tail mast turnbuckle.

Hellcat29.jpg

forward mast turnbuckle

Hellcat30.jpg

Yeah I'm freakin' nuts...tried to thread the dang things all afternoon. Couldn't find my no-see'em fishin' line. :bang head Tried wire, didn't look right. Finally found the fishin' line but was too crosseyed to get it rigged. My eyes really have gone down hill since doing that Sopwith Pup cause this is the same stuff I was working with back then.

This is the last thing I got to do then it's off to get in the mud some. :solder

That looks like the deal! What weight line are you using (going to use)?

Eye problems? :unsure: :blink

2lb test. that monofilament stuff. Problem I had with that .1mm wire car guys use is it wouldn't make that corner well and couldn't get the kinks out.

Wishlist, brass antenna mast that don't bend...As you can tell I had to do some recovery on those mast. I tried to drill through them but they were already too thin. so I added some stock to the forward mast, drilled the hole then trimmed it down to size, or close to it. On the rear mast, I cut the tip off, attached the leader for the turnbuckle then built CA on top of it, then shaped it also. need to sand down the leading edge of the rear mast some.

How did you make those wires? They look very nice.

Ryan, those were the last 4 of Bob's Buckles I had left over from the Sopwith Pup build.

http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/how-to-buckle.html

check out technique "3", making the turnbuckle is not so hard, securing it to something as thin as the antenna mast is. :bang head

Hellcat31.jpg

Can't get a good shot of the antenna rigging but here it is. I'm working on that smoke trail now. can't get the pigments to be subtle enough..maybe a flat surface through that area?

I've found pigments stick better to flat surfaces and clear will tone them down too. Looks like you nailed the rigging! (y) :drinks

OK, I'll shot some flat coat around the area I need to smoke up and work with it there. on the bottom side it stained pretty well but I can't get the lighter colors to stick. Using Slate pigment for that lighter color.

Back