• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

hawkenstien 3...........finished

hawkenstien 3...........and paint

Joe, you know that I see everything (good and bad) and I must say I am truly impressed because what I see is your work, not someone's work repackaged and sold as aftermarket.

This is a not only a work of art, but a labor of Love, and you rightfully should be proud.

Regards,

Like Bobs' B-10 a couple of weeks back - with a coat of paint, it just comes to life. Looks fine, Joe.

Ian

it is looking better and better to me. down to just a few things left for this.

many many thanks for the kind words.

joe

hawkenstien 3...........landing gear and decals

well folks the end is drawing near for this build.

for the last couple of days i have been working with clear coats, decals, subtle weathering,.......then back to the landing gear, tail wheel, landing gear doors, and other fiddly bits.

there was more but that is not for this update.

so let me show you a bit of what i have.

first up let me show you the decals and the weathering. as this is not the focus of the build i went with the kit decals. wouldnt you know it, they shattered. horrible decals. took me three boxes to find kits that would work.

after the decalling i went with just a subtle wash. this is an adapted sludge wash applied with a brush. then i actually sprayed it, highly thinned, through the ab.

after that i went with a flat, the testors spray decanted and sprayed through the ab.

so pics................

decals-1_zps4afb0517.jpg

decals-5_zps8288e0b5.jpg

decals-2_zps17655efe.jpg

decals-3_zps8c74e45d.jpg

decals-4_zps38136344.jpg

while that occured i went with working more on the landing gear. i attached the brake line after attaching the gear and wheel to the fuse. not a good idea. i should have attached it before that.

landing-gear-5_zps8f9bd36a.jpg

landing-gear-6_zps691fe00f.jpg

landing-gear-7_zpsc76401ac.jpg

landing-gear-8_zpsfa844087.jpg

like i said moving towards the end with this. not much left. not many updates are left.

comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

Really starting to come together now. The only critique I would offer is with the US Army decal. I'm not sure if it is the angle of the photo, but it looks like the Army part is at an angle. It should be parallel to the panel lines on the front section of the wing. Other then that it looks great (y)

Outstanding effort so far. I love it when a modeler puts his heart and soul into a project and you have done that.

Terry (y)

Gee Wiz Joe you have turned out a piece of art, from this kit. (y) Gives me "big ideas" to give it a try........in about 100 years. :dude

hawkenstien 3...........the small stuff

in every build there is a point where i really mess up. it is when i am pushing for the end and without intending to do so, i will skip small details or rush them and cause myself issues. last night i decided that i wasnt going to do that with this build. i was going to sit down and focus on what needed to be finished prior to the final push that goes with the build.

with that in mind i went back over the last couple of days and found a couple of really good build ups for both this kit and for the 1/24 vintage series of p-40b's. they got me thinking of what i needed to do yet and to be honest there were some things that caused me a great urge to tear this thing apart and redo some of the sections to make them look better. that urge is still there but i havent acted upon it..................yet.

so back to last night. first thing i did was to make myself a list based upon the other builds and what i had with this one. once the list was created i started to work my way through it.

first up was the ammo box and the nose guns area. this area was much too barren for me. one of the builds had a wonderful series of pictures of how one builder took care of this area. i couldnt do all he did just because he worked on his while the parts were separate, but i could add just a few things. so ..............

nose guns and ammo box.

small-stuff-8_zpseeb95a1f.jpg

next up was to finish off the landing gear........some small details were added. they are now done.

small-stuff-2_zpsb32de477.jpg

next were the antenna mounts for the wings.

small-stuff-5_zps63a6f49b.jpg

next up, the access door hinge work so i could show it open.

small-stuff-3_zpsf6c23693.jpg

i couldnt forget the clear parts. these needed some things done to them and in the process i found that some of the attaching holes were needing some modification. but after some careful work with a drill and files.

small-stuff-6_zps350ea547.jpg

small-stuff-7_zps839237d5.jpg

and i didnt forget that i had goofed, the tail feathers were positioned wrong. so i fixed that.....

small-stuff-4_zps5f247957.jpg

then came the nose piece and the prop.

small-stuff-1_zps665c59da.jpg

thus ended the session last night. now mind you, i am still looking at the small stuff and a few things revealed themselves to me durring the process.

so close yet so far away from the finish line.

please, all comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

first let me say thank you for following along. all the encouragement has pushed me as much as just the sheer challenge.

so without further ado.

my first attempt at a cutaway.

trumpeter 1/32 p-40b, roughly 20 or 25 kit pieces. guessing somewhere north of 800 pieces total. started in november.

finished-12_zps15858717.jpg

finished-13_zps6cb553f1.jpg

finished-10_zps4ecba3af.jpg

finished-11_zps2be309fd.jpg

finished-17_zps05b4342e.jpg

finished-16_zps6d4bf8c7.jpg

finished-14_zps734c33ae.jpg

finished-15_zps07dbde45.jpg

finished-6_zps9831f5a1.jpg

finished-7_zpseb0af220.jpg

finished-8_zps72299e16.jpg

finished-5_zpsa306184d.jpg

finished-4_zpsa7f15c45.jpg

again thank you for following along and for all the support.

joe

Back