• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

hawkenstien 3...........finished

hawkenstien 3...........browning .303's

well another update with a few extra pictures.

work focused on the brownings for the starboard wing. i also repopped the ammo box. all in all the brownings are over 30 pieces each. they both have the cables for the remote triggers.

the brownings painted and installed.

wing-guns-7_zpseee8b0cc.jpg

wing-guns-9_zpseee59ace.jpg

wing-guns-8_zps3bc7a571.jpg

the ammo box

wing-guns-5_zpsde3bf22a.jpg

wing-guns-6_zpsc41a41b3.jpg

this more closely resembles the pictues i have found.

now the overall. mind you the wing is taped for effect.

wing-guns-10_zps8059ee80.jpg

wing-guns-11_zpse57fec56.jpg

with that i may try to piece together a small resemblance of the rounds. will have to see about that.

overall i am pretty happy with this. the gun body is glued in. the barrel is removable so i can fit the wing and do any filling and sanding without causing issues.

now please, comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

hawkenstien 3...........browning .303's

Hi Joe,

Very enjoyable to catch up on your build !! Progress looks terrific (y) (y)

Those guns are sweet :notworthy

Randy

hawkenstien 3...........just a-flappin

ok folks i am here again. more boredom.

spent quite a bit of time playing with the landing gear and the flaps. alot of trimming, sanding, trimming, scrapping, starting over...........in other words the same as all my work sessions.

first up are the flaps. these turned out ok for me. when painted they actually should look very good. i hope.

flaps-3_zpscbc10359.jpg

flaps-2_zpse7b0bb96.jpg

and then fit into the slot.

flaps-1_zpsa51eb5c8.jpg

and now i need help. been playing with the landing gear. this is another "the kit part looks ok but can i do it better". i still have a few bits to add, mostly bolt heads and such. but overall they are done. mind you they are multiple pieces. the long leg is all glued and mostly ready. the lower "wheel" attachment is loose with the inner tube loose yet. i want your blunt opinion on them.

first up is both together. the kit part on the right. please remember when glued they will be much straighter.

landing-gear-1_zpsa1a33d53.jpg

now my versions and then fit into the wing.

landing-gear-2_zps0acaf8ab.jpg

landing-gear-3_zpse78eb5d9.jpg

like i said i want blunt opinions on this. nothing is set in stone and i could go either way.

all comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

The flaps look excellent but I know you can do better with the oleo scissors :

h41289b9.jpg

h958e6e4.jpg

hc423ee2.jpg

h3a787df.jpg

h6bad009.jpg

haff17a8.jpg

h1e08c9d.jpg

hfdde42a.jpg

Regards,

Saul beat me to it. The Scissor link is not right. Found these pages to add to the incredable info Saul is giving (they may have already been given to you, sorry).

P40gears.jpg

Side.gif

found here http://www.p40warhawk.com/Models/Technical/Technical.htm

James

'Said it before, and make no apologies for saying it again... this project is all about dedication, something I have only in small bursts !!. Kudos to you, sir.

Ian

many thanks. i have reworked the scissor and although not perfect it is the best i am going to get i am afraid. i just cant get the size right.

joe

hawkenstien 3...........major milestone

ok all today was a big day for me and this project. it is the turning point.

before that though some different little stuff needed some work.

the landing gear. those blasted scissors.

landing-gear-4_zps299f34c5.jpg

those look better. not 100% but much better.

paint on the flap interiors.

flaps-4_zpsd411de40.jpg

then i needed to add some detail to the cowl flaps.

cowl-flap-2_zps514c9be2.jpg

cowl-flap-1_zpsfd5103e0.jpg

now for the milestone. the wings are glued on. this is a major step for me and this project. once the filling and sanding are done it will be just little bits and pieces left other than the .5 cal guns in the nose.

but for now, the milestone.

together-2_zpsae7b41b6.jpg

now this was not without a minor inconvenience.

together-1_zps960d59df.jpg

pretty large gap right there. in part because of all the sanding and stuff i did in the starboard wing, but fear not, i have already applied a homemade liquid styrene goop into this to try to get it to go away.

i have also made a list of the items left to do and to install. only about a dozen things and some need to be after paint. the biggest thing will be the .5 cal guns and the blast tubes.

all comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

hawkenstien 3...........and paint

well my friends we have an update.

we have paint. the od is lifecolor od 41 and the neutral grey is vallejo neutral grey. they are both sprayed and this time they actually look decent to me. i love the od. it may lose the effect but there is kind of a dusty faded look to it.

pictures.

paint-2_zps73e964b5.jpg

paint-1_zps34173364.jpg

paint-5_zpse4efa14b.jpg

paint-3_zps0bac3cad.jpg

paint-6_zps5206a973.jpg

paint-4_zps4a114227.jpg

so there we are. gonna be a split strategy at this point. i need to get clear on for decalling and a bit of subtle weathering and washes. i also need to play a bit with the small details. started on the gear doors and finishing up the flaps. i plan to hand paint the flaps to give them a different texture.

onward and upward.

comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

hawkenstien 3...........and paint

Man that looks even better with a coat of paint on. Really going to be a conversation piece I think. Nice work (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Back