• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Future Replacement

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
No not my replacement.

Said something the other day about getting some fresh Future forgetting that it's gone.

I was at Lowes today and saw this Bona high Gloss Floor wax
OK it's not Lowes but that's the product. they had two flavors, one for hard woods and this for multi surfaces. I picked up a bottle.
Looks like Alclad Aqua Clear, skim milk appearance.

I found one of Matt Swanns articles "The Complete Future" looks like his site is gone forever.

I grabbed a canopy from one of the P51s to test with. Did the dip and wick method, it's curing now. Wondering what sort of test do I need to try out to see if it's comparable to Future?

Last edited:
Holloway House Quick Shine Multi-Surface with the green label is reputed to be a fine substitute for our beloved Future acrylic.

1708835486876.png

1708889779217.png

Nice shine, I've masked it off to see how it takes a lacquer coat of Alclad. Masking tape shouldn't lift it. Feels rather hard to the touch.

I've dusted off the old Williams Bro's Halls Bulldog build from years ago, got a lot of dust on the finish, might give it a mild wet sanding and give it a coat of this stuff and see how it goes.

Masking did well, Alclad black primer topped with airframe aluminum. The lacquer didn't harm the clear coat. Masked very nicely, I had a bad seal on the front canopy frame, no fault of the Bona.

1708998427378.png

1708998574743.png

I know the mustang canopy isn't like this I'm just showing how the bona floor wax does here. I suspect it thins with water or any acrylic thinner. Will test that tomorrow. I'll try a top coat of the painted part and see how it shines up.

Think I"ll go ahead and dip the canopies of the Comets and Gee Bee.

Future or Pledge is removed or thinned with ammonia, which to me would be a big hint as to how it works. Gary S.

I’ve got some floor wax I picked up a couple years back that I’ve used on a couple canopies with success…will have to see what brand it it was.

I bought a box of six bottles of Future off Amazon several years back. I gave 5 bottles away to friends and am still working out of my first bottle. I may need to get something else by 2035.

My mostly full bottle of Future is not the nice clear it used to be as it has a slight yellow tinge to the liquid these days.

I didn't get a shot of the top wing of the old Hall's Bulldog but there were some embedded dust and other nastiness in the clear coat. I sanded though with my fresh sanding pads and gave a good coat of the Bona.

This is 24 hour cure time.

1709604915018.png

That scrap mark is where I used a scribe to see how hard the surface was. I'm not sure it's as hard as future was but it is shiny. There are some bits and pieces I could clean up and maybe take this around to the shows this season. This little thing did turn out pretty good back in the day. think I built it for the Race campaign years ago.

Back