• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Feb. 13, 2020

It is beyond my capacity to imagine your process. Planning, construction, all the minutia included to make such a project. Then the dedication to keep going to completion. Holly Molly! Model story telling at it's extraordinary finest! :notworthy
test

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated March 5, 2020

Thanks Dave for Bumping it.

The words have already been said before me.

So intricately detailed with so many subjects to keep the human eye scanning more into the diorama. :popcorn

Perfect.

Michael :drinks

Thanks Dave for Bumping it.

The words have already been said before me.

So intricately detailed with so many subjects to keep the human eye scanning more into the diorama. :popcorn

Perfect.

Michael :drinks

Thanks Michael,

I sure wish it was perfect, but thanks for the compliment anyway!

Bob

After that train station, I had to stop and do my spring cleaning on my workshop. I make such a mess that, finally, I have nowhere left to work. I took a few days and did some cleaning. I carried out two large garbage bags. What a mess it was! Here is a shot of my workshop as of last Sunday!

workshop.JPG

It's always nice to start again with everything so tidy. Unfortunately, it usually takes me a day or two before it is all cluttered again.

I decided before I go on to other things in this large diorama, I will finish the train shed comp[letely although I can't permanently mount it until the very last part of the diorama. Otherwise I couldn't get to many parts of the rest of the diorama.

Here is a duplicate of one of the photos I posted last time. The Train shed, as I call it ,is the canopy over the tracks where passengers board. The K5E rail gun has been backed in in an attempt to shelter it from Allied bombing. In this instance, it didn't work out all that well.
A lot of damage to it and the Train station and even the more fragile parts of the rail gun.

The shed will run the full length from the train station to the right end of the diorama. It shows the full length of the diorama . On the far left, you can see the portion of the shed I built several years ago.

0~23.JPG

I had built a large section of the shed several years ago but, I waited to finish the destroyed portion until after the RR gun was finished so I could design the shed rubble around the gun itself. I made a master of the primary supports, (Seen here in yellow and a lighter shade of yellow in resin), way back when and then cast them in two part polyurethane resin. The remaining structural parts are from Evergreen and plastruct, plus all those window frames. I used a trick to make some of them twisted and broken. I removed them from the silicon molds before they were completely cured and then bent and twisted until I had the shape I wanted, then dipped them in cold water to expedite their curing process. I used some 20 of those supports, 16 intact and 4 twisted in the entire shed.

0000~25.JPG

Another angle.There is another three sections attacked to the train station. Where the two come together, there will be a wide gap over the barrel of the RR gun from Allied bombing. When finished, there will be a dozen or so G.I.s standing on the barrel and a British War correspondent taking a photo of them.

000~27.JPG

In addition, I made a structural steel component that ran the length of the shed to handle electric engines as well as Locomotives, and the small diesel engines the Germans used for lighter purposes.

9~9.JPG

Another angle. The white strip will be metalized and represent the contact for the overhead apparatus that transfers the electricity from the strip to the internal motors. Note the simulated ceramic insulators. I made a master of them and cast enough to run the length of the shed. They are the yellow resin parts between the strip and the power cable box.Those will be painted a glossy off white.

99~12.JPG

Here is the shed, the power structure and at the top of the photo is another power strip which the lighting for the passenger walkway will be installed.

9999~11.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Wow! I knew I should have bought stock in Plastruct! :mpup

Awesome work! (y)

I can just imagine Bob! You are making great strides on this now. I have seen the other dios in your museum and I believe this is one of the most involved and the busiest of the bunch.

Wow, that is fantastic! It felt good looking at that clean workbench and thinking, 'man I was there as saw all this in person!' That and the diorama! Man, I am overwhelmed!

Wow! I knew I should have bought stock in Plastruct! :mpup

Awesome work! (y)

Thanks Mike,

BYW, I cheated! I bought all that Plastruck and more when VLS was going. I got distributor discounts on everything back then, usually 60% off the retail prices! :)

Bob

Thanks MP,

Dad

I can just imagine Bob! You are making great strides on this now. I have seen the other dios in your museum and I believe this is one of the most involved and the busiest of the bunch.

Thanks Paul!

The big difference in now and two years ago is I am no longer fighting cancers. It's amazing the difference that makes even at my age! :)

When I began this one, my goal was to not only to make it much busier, but far more detailed and much more quality in the building and painting than the previous ones. I believe I have accomplished that. I sure never spent this amount of time on any other of my dioramas! I started it in 2003. That was nearly 17 years ago! I built the first version of Legaxies in one year! Try working on one build for 17 years! It's been different! :)

Bob

Wow, that is fantastic! It felt good looking at that clean workbench and thinking, 'man I was there as saw all this in person!' That and the diorama! Man, I am overwhelmed!

Thanks Mark!

If I remember, it wasn't so nice and organized when you were here!

BTW, it already looks more like it did when you were here! My workshop doesn't stay nice very long after I clean it!

Bob

Thanks Mark!

If I remember, it wasn't so nice and organized when you were here!

BTW, it already looks more like it did when you were here! My workshop doesn't stay nice very long after I clean it!

Bob

Yeah, I know that feeling!

Back