• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

frankenfort ........finished

frankenfort ......bulkheads

my apologies for such a late reply.

many many thanks for the kind words.

joe

frankenfort ......to the left....or to the right

well it is me again.

my update is more of a she has paint and such.

interior-9_zps7d6445a7.jpg

interior-8_zpsa461bb35.jpg

interior-7_zpsa29b5cc0.jpg

interior-6_zpsa46b922f.jpg

interior-5_zpsfdfd01df.jpg

interior-4_zpsaa421924.jpg

interior-3_zps6b81af35.jpg

interior-2_zps773447a9.jpg

interior-1_zps3cf37d59.jpg

well there she is so far.

now i am at a point in my mind that i hit on all my builds. i am looking and seeing the stuff i should have done and wondering if it would look better if i would have done other things..................

every build for me has a could've or would've moment. i have been sitting here staring at this fort for the last week or so. what should i do? tear it down and do it again..........or go forward with what i have................i hate decisions.

i could have done so much more. to be honest i should have done things differently.

i hate the way my mind works.

comments, criticisms, and critiques are encouraged.

joe

well it is me again.

my update is more of a she has paint and such.

Images snipped

well there she is so far.

now i am at a point in my mind that i hit on all my builds. i am looking and seeing the stuff i should have done and wondering if it would look better if i would have done other things..................

every build for me has a could've or would've moment. i have been sitting here staring at this fort for the last week or so. what should i do? tear it down and do it again..........or go forward with what i have................i hate decisions.

i could have done so much more. to be honest i should have done things differently.

i hate the way my mind works.

comments, criticisms, and critiques are encouraged.

joe

Hello Joe.

Do you know what the difference is between a Perfectionist and a person who strives for Excellence?

The perfectionist *NEVER GETS ANYTHING FINISHED*!

All modellers can see things in their builds that they could have done diffeently and sometimes even better. That is the *HUGE ADVANTAGE* of *HINDSIGHT*. It's from those things that we learn and hope to improve our next build with.

It's not just good, excellent model builders that have this problem. Most true artists always see something they want to improve in their work efore they allow others to view the final result. That's the bane of many an agent or promoter of the artist - getting tthen to actually finish something that's *EXCELLENT* but not quite *PERFECT*.

As a fact, that in some cultures a deliberate flaw is introduced into any work because the artist knows that *NO ONE THING CAN BE PERFECT*.

You interior is excellent and very few people, unless possessing an intimate knowledge of the B-17 and *ALL* its variants will see anything amiss with your model.

I have many "Shelf Queens" because I got trapped by the Perfection versus Excellent thing. I try to tell myself that I build for fun and that there's a point when "It's good enough" is good enough to call it done. It's something I'm constantly battling on my H.M.C.S. Galt Flower Class Corvette and also on my 1/32 scale Lindberg PT boat rebuild and build. I keep seeing details i could add but they aren't really needed in order to enjoy running either at a pond.

How much of your interior will be visible once the model is assembled?
Didn't you say that this was a dry run for another model? Use what you learned on this *EXCELLENT* build to build a better one next time. Enjoy what you have accomplished here as it's *EXCELLENT* even if it's not perfect.

Cheers from Peter

What Peter said....the only thing, not being a perfectionist, the seat cushions would be OD and the bomb fuses would be a metallic color.

Excellent job so far Joe :popcorn

you are both very kind. thank you.

peter you are right on all counts about modelers and the perfectionist versus the one who strives for excellence.

mp i have seen seats of interior green, white, off white, tan, dull dark green, and yellow. i went with yellow just because i had read recently an argument for yellow that made sense to me.

joe

mp cant tell you and the others how much the encouragement helps us of lesser skills. stopped a long time ago with letting my ego swell with the positive comments but the encouragement provides the stepping stone for attempting things out of the comfort zone.

joe

This has got to be one of the greatest 1/48 kits ever- don't worry about time involved go for it! :fencing

the kit is definitely a great canvass for a ton of detail work.

joe

frankenfort ......moving forward

well after deciding left or right i just hit the fourways and went straight ahead.

been working some on some of the stuff i have been putting off.

so here we go.

bomb bay door interiors.

interior-10_zpsb3dc8a98.jpg

guns and mounts for waist and cheek positions.

interior-12_zps53737168.jpg

bulkheads for under the flooring for nose and tail of bomb bay.

interior-11_zpsc6d11fff.jpg

and finally got the work done so far all in one place. one casualty. the ip popped off when i test fit to the fuse. going to have to fix that.

interior-13_zpsa064e84c.jpg

i am thinking that belly turrent needs to go next. still trying to figure out the tail wheel and assembly as well. dont have the stuff to scratch a decent one. may have to go with the kit part on this one.

comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

Shalom.

This just keeps getting beter, and better, and better and... Well, you get the picture.

I love the mg mounts.

Have you ever heara about the B-17 where the crew (pilot I believe) mounted a .50 cal mg in the cockpit window firing forward? They got into a turning contest with a German ME-110 and out turned it and shot it down. That true story is in Martin Caidin's book, "FLYING FORTS".

Cheers from Peter

peter i had not heard of that. that is too cool. many many thanks for the kind words.

ok bonus.

this is a comparison post for those who have not built up or seen this kit. this is the same kit i did years ago. i was building it oob, or very very close to it.

075_zps31e88721.jpg

073_zps6e7214e3.jpg

076_zpse6d99003.jpg

074_zps306d2a32.jpg

like i said just a comparison.

joe

frankenfort ......bellyache

update time. just a short one. spent some time on the belly turret. now this will only be seen in the pictures. once the fuse is closed this will be hidden away. however i wanted to give it a shot.

first the gun mount assembly.

kit part with just a few added things to give it the right look.

belly-7_zps421188fd.jpg

belly-6_zps000eca59.jpg

now my first rendition of the turret cradle.

belly-5_zps3a731b1f.jpg

belly-4_zps2eb91641.jpg

and what i ended up with

belly-3_zps6e68859a.jpg

belly-2_zps2dc40e5a.jpg

and how she all works together.

belly-1_zps4d12323c.jpg

three days to get it to this.

now what is left..................hmmm............

-top turret
-tail wheel and assembly (still thinking i need to go kit with this. what i do wont have the strength to support it.
-chin turret
-install clear

i think i can then close up the fuse.

comments, critique, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

Very nice belly turret.

Those things must have been pretty strong.

A B-17 with three engines dead went to ditch in the English Channel. The belly turret hit first and the B-17 bounced back into the air. The pilot stretched out the glide as long as possible before attempting another ditching. Again the belly turret hit first and tthe B-17 bounced back into the air. Again the pilot stetched out the glide. After the third attempt at ditching with the belly turret once more hitting the water and causing that B-17 to bounce up into the air the aircraft had just enough height to clear The White Cliffs of Dover and make it to an airbase.

Cheers

mp, tank, many thanks for checking in and your kindness.

tank i hadnt heard of that one. i have heard multiple reports of forts getting back with major sections of fuse and tail and wings gone. flying on one engine. definitely tough birds.

joe

Truely awesome build!! There a pic on pg.5 of the underside of the flight deck showing off the control cable sheaves that brought back 'sharp' memory for me.

I got to crawl up into the forward hatch under the cockpit and the very first thing I did was bang my head on those sheave brackets! From what I'm seeing you got that area to a tee!!

I'm definately going to keep a eye on this!!

BTW I have quite a few pics of B-17G The Sentimental Journey. Interior and exterior if you need some give me a hollar.

dollar those were pure guess work for me. i have nothing that shows them. i am thrilled to hear i did ok with them.

joe

Back