• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Czech Model 1/48 Northrop XP-56

jeaton01

I started another X-Plane, one that I have had in the workshop pile for 10 years or so. It is the 1/48 Czech Models XP-56. It has resin detail parts and the rest is fairly good limited run injection moldings. Fit is very good so far but bring a rough file for the pour stubs.

The cockpit tub positioning wasn't too bad and it locks the nosewheel bay in place. The main gear bays fit well once all of the pour remnants were belt sanded down to flush with the perimeters. I painted the cockpit interior green as well as the gear bays. The inside of the tip venturies were painted flat black but it might have been good to put some sheet plastic in there to block the see through. I installed the wings to the fuselage halves and taped the assembly together to check for any ballast requirements but the model appears to be balanced well to stay on the nosewheel without any. I didn't install two subpanels that fit at an angle to the main panel as it looked like getting them in the right spot was going to be difficult and they would be hard to see anyway. There were no instrument panel decals in the kit but there is sufficient detail on the panels for some drybrushing.

The wing to fuselage joins needed some work due to the fuselage mating detail being a little too wide in the vertical dimension. A large exacto blade shaped to a curve scraped things into a close shape followed by a rough file and some Tamiya Putty. The putty was held to a narrow area by Tamiya Tape applied on both sides of the problem areas.

The vacuform canopy fitted nicely, I cut it close with Tamiya nippers and did the final shaping with a low powered Dremel like tool from Harbor Freight. I used a 2 inch carborundum wheel running at the lowest speed so that process wasn't too exciting. I took photos of the canopy and scaled them to size in Corel Draw, outputted a dxf file and cut them in a Silhouette Cameo vinyl cutter. Once masked some interior green was sprayed on for the interior color.

1/16 aluminum tubing was inserted into holes drilled at an angle in the depressions the kit had for the exhaust and glued in with CA. I should have roughed up the outside of the tubing first as that gives the tubing some tooth for the CA but I forgot. That made it so I couldn't be as aggressive as I would have liked to be when I hollowed out the tubing. Before hollowing the tubing out I clipped the stubs off at an angle and filed them down flush with the fuselage skin.

0011xp56.jpg

0021xp56.jpg

0031xp56.jpg

0041xp56.jpg

0051xp56.jpg

0061xp56.jpg

0071xp56.jpg

0081xp56.jpg

0091xp56.jpg

0101xp56.jpg

0111xp56.jpg

Last edited:
Bob, they are venturies that operate split flaps for yaw control. The airplane had control and stability issues that limited its test program, and also was hindered by the failure of the engine that it was designed around. An R-2800 was substituted but it was larger and heavier than the original H type engine.

Thanks for looking in, Chris.

Working up the propellers this morning. 3/32 brass tubing and 1/16 music wire for the bearings and shafts. The kit did call for the shaft but not the bearings but things run truer and smoother with the brass bearings. All the prop blades are individual and there is no fixture for alignment so that was all Mk 1 eyeball. I know I have the blade faces correct and pitched for opposite rotation but I could have the rotation backwards on both. Who will know?

0131xp56.jpg

0141xp56.jpg

Last edited:
That's GREAT! I have one of these for sale. It is mysterious to me why the "Black Bullet" is finished in OD/Gray. Imagining a night fighter maybe?

Nice work John

I've got the special hobby 1/72 version in the stash somewhere. I doubt I'll be doing spinning props on it.

Going to stop where I am, though I would have liked to have worked on the panel lines a bit more. The fragility of the landing gear made that too difficult for me and my shaky hands. Apparently the maker really wanted a scale size landing gear and that resulted in very weak struts, made worse by the flexibility of the limited run soft plastic. They will hold the finished model up but won't tolerate any kind of side loads. The design of the gear is very complex. Like the Grumman Bearcat there is a sort of trapese mechanism such that the top of the strut is moved outboard as it retracts.

It was interesting to install the antenna post on the vacuform canopy, it was a resin part and I used a drop of five minute epoxy. The antenna wire is Uschi Fine, with just enough tension to stay straight, also attached to the fin with a drop of 5 minute epoxy. I may continue the use of epoxy with antenna wires, it worked very well.

The last photos are with a Collect-Air Curtiss XP-55. So far as I know there is no Vultee XP-54 in 1/48, so this may be as far as I can go in 1/48 with this series of out there experimental WW II fighters.

The instructions have a few gotchas, they say to install the main gear struts with the axles outboard, but pictures and logic say otherwise. They also show you to put the lower wing insignia on the left wing, but we all know better than that (but I still checked photos!).

0171xp56.jpg

0181xp56.jpg
0191xp56.jpg

0201xp56.jpg

0211xp56.jpg

0221xp56.jpg

0231xp56.jpg

0251xp56.jpg

0261xp56.jpg

0271xp56.jpg

You have it right John! When in doubt always double check the photos. No matter what the instructions say the photo trumps it.

Turned out really nice John!
3D-Great Job.gif

I've never had the guts to do a CZ kit. especially after my fiasco with the Song Bird. Great finish John.

Gary, except for the landing gear being so weak it's a pretty easy build. Good to hear from you!

Back