• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

frankenfort ........finished

fightnjoe

well here she is.

the subject is the 1/48 revell b-17g.

the only thing i am sure about for this build is i want to do nmf. for the rest we shall go where the trail leads us.

so here we go my friends. FRANKENFORT

first up the subject.

boxart_zps2a8af0c1.jpg

yep it is that one.

what is in the box for those who have never seen this kit? well there are five sprues. three are grayish and have plenty of flash and the same ol revell quality we all know. one sprue is black. one is clear. there is a multi page instruction booklet. there is the lovely tips on building dioramas sheet as well.

prebuild-1_zps20eb21c1.jpg

prebuild-11_zpsee7dc791.jpg

prebuild-5_zpse80e4211.jpg

prebuild-10_zps79efcb89.jpg

actually this kit is a favorite of mine as the detail is not too bad. incorrect in most cases but for one to build a fort with some decent interior detail it isnt bad.

prebuild-9_zps4e4bc4f6.jpg

prebuild-8_zps743f8eb5.jpg

prebuild-7_zpse6495119.jpg

prebuild-6_zpsb6daac6c.jpg

now the first thing for me is to put my stamp on this, so alot of this interior detail has got to go.

prebuild-4_zpse19d0e87.jpg

prebuild-3_zpsdf18065a.jpg

so stay tuned..............

joe

Re: frankenfort

What a great kit! That's one I haven't gone back to do again since returning to the hobby some years ago. I don't think I could ever get out of the inside to finish it. Sending :zen Joe

Go, Joe! I've always planned on rebuilding those big cranks on that bulkhead- along with most of the other stuff! One of my biggest modeling peeves is cylindrical parts modeled half-round onto a flat surface. I'll be enjoying watching along with your progress. :drinks

Will be watching this one. Love those big Revell Bombers. I have the Clear B-17 in the stash but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Saw one of these at the club meet yesterday. All finished out with the battle damage .

It was unbelievably scary looking . I wish I would of had my camera handy. :bang head

Here's hoping that Adam too some pictures of Kelly' s build. :drinks

Cheers, Christian B) B)

Joe, that kit with that diorama spread in it is what made we want to be a modeler. I rode to the hobby shop on my bike when I was about 12. It was probably about 15 miles there. Rode back with that kit in the bag. Got home and ripped it open all over the dining room table and looked at those pictures for forever. AWESOME!!!! I still remember that "In the Pink" artwork. Didn't even know what that meant at 12 but that diorama was awesome!!! I built the heck out of that kit as a 12 year old and it was awesome. It sat on my shelf in my room for years until a cat destroyed it and my mom threw it away when I was in college. I know you'll do a good job on it. Good modeling man! :dude

lots of awesome memories with the old revell/monogram kits. many bedroom/backyard battles were hard fought with them.

I can't wait to see this one finished Joe. No pressure of course.... but I think you will do a great job on it.

Joe, that kit with that diorama spread in it is what made we want to be a modeler. I rode to the hobby shop on my bike when I was about 12. It was probably about 15 miles there. Rode back with that kit in the bag. Got home and ripped it open all over the dining room table and looked at those pictures for forever. AWESOME!!!! I still remember that "In the Pink" artwork. Didn't even know what that meant at 12 but that diorama was awesome!!! I built the heck out of that kit as a 12 year old and it was awesome. It sat on my shelf in my room for years until a cat destroyed it and my mom threw it away when I was in college. I know you'll do a good job on it. Good modeling man! :dude

I remember reading that insert time and time again. Just in awe that Shep Paine hand painted the back of the flight jacket. Can't think how many of these kits I built...

And Chuck,...Herump! Hate the half round cylinders.

dang...............lots of eyes watching this one i guess.

ok, deep breath, no pressure.........................

awwwwwwwwwww shoot. just going to go as the trail leads. got some good references and lots of time to play with.............read that no deadline.

:pilot :pilot :pilot

and away we go.

joe

Re: frankenfort ..............................and away

.............sanded.

yep i started with removing as much of the molded detail as i could.

some "shadows" were left and i didnt sand all areas smooth. the pit will get a different approach.

but here we go.

starting-1_zps723f6193.jpg

starting-2_zps2f8c184f.jpg

starting-3_zps4773e795.jpg

and the supplies needed for the remake........

starting-4_zps05481718.jpg

next update will be the ribbing for the interior.

joe

This one brings back memories. I had three of them, built one (Chowhound) and it hung in my room. :D Lost her on a springcleaning
mission, I discovered that my mother commanded a very accurate flak battery.

Mike B)

thanks again for tagging along.

yep my mom (then)and wife (now) had pretty accurate and heavy flak. my kids however and the pets now act as the defending fighters.

joe

thanks again for tagging along.

yep my mom (then)and wife (now) had pretty accurate and heavy flak. my kids however and the pets now act as the defending fighters.

joe

Little Friends!!! hahaha :laugh:

when i pick the build up off the floor, or to be more precise when i pick up the pieces i can find on the floor i hardly call them "little friend".

joe

when i pick the build up off the floor, or to be more precise when i pick up the pieces i can find on the floor i hardly call them "little friend".

joe

Well they're little friends, just not your little friends :rotf

Re: frankenfort ......ribs and hatches

well here i am again folks.

over the last few days i have used up much of my supply of smaller dimension strip. my plan is to rib the interior and then work on section by section details.

the ribbing itself took roughly eight hours over 3 days. it isnt finished. i have a few sections to trim out yet. but here she is..............

ribbing-4_zps5336ce71.jpg

ribbing-3_zps0858a99e.jpg

ribbing-2_zpscde21421.jpg

ribbing-1_zpsfd9dae4e.jpg

when that was done i looked at the hatches and crew doors. they had to come out. so first i made a template out of aluminum foil, taped the foil cutout to an aluminum pop can and then cut it out. presto chango, we have new hatches and crew door. then i came back to the kit fuse sides and set in with a drill.

hatches-4_zpscac813b4.jpg

hatches-3_zps5a8613cd.jpg

hatches-2_zps7ef5e523.jpg

hatches-1_zps5482d3d1.jpg

that took a little time but she is ready.

next these will be removed and then the holes cleaned up, thin out the fuse sides a touch, and then on to the bomb bay doors.

comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

Back