• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ernie's last ride...* * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

From Wikipedia

"In 1998, Irvan joined MB2 Motorsports to drive the No.36 Skittles Pontiac. During the year he scored 11 top-10 finishes with three pole positions despite missing the final three races while recovering from injuries suffered at Talladega in October. Irvan finished the season 19th in the Winston Cup points standings, earning $1,476,141. The highlight of 1998 was the birth of his son, Jared, on February 9.

Irvan continued driving the No.36 for MB2 in 1999, but with a different sponsor. M&M Mars (parent corporation of Skittles) decided to emblazon the popular "M&Ms" characters on the car.

On August 20, exactly five years after his near fatal accident there, Irvan crashed at Michigan while driving his own No.84 Irvan-Simo Federated Auto Parts Pontiac in a practice session for the Busch Series race. Irvan was again airlifted from the track and was diagnosed with a mild head injury and a bruised lung as a result of the accident.

Two weeks later, on September 3, 1999, surrounded by his wife and two children, Irvan announced his retirement from driving at a tearful press conference in Darlington, SC. While he would fully recover before the end of the 1999 season, the reasoning for the retirement was to prevent future incidents and he had a family to support.

Irvan finished his Winston Cup career as a driver with 15 victories, 22 poles, 68 top-fives, 124 top-10s and over 11 million dollars in career earnings."

h3057b7b.jpg

hdd486c1.JPG

As you can see, I have the kit, but cannot order the decals from Mike just yet. Hopefully he still has them in stock otherwise this thread is going to be redundant and I'm going to look like a proper d*ck-he*d !!

So why a NASCAR build for this campaign ??, simple, I just couldn't choose a favourite aircraft model !! simple as that.

AFN

Ian.

Ernie's last ride...

Great choice & thanks for the info on Ernie ....... I knew He wasn't killed during a race ..... He just kinda went away ...... I have the pre-painted kit ..... at my shop do you need the body ...... Ian???

Ernie's last ride...

Body done, ready for primer... Just a couple of mould seams to gently sand away and blend-in the front air-dam, which is very easy.

h18158a0.jpg

h1fd5e95.jpg

Here's the start of the chassis & cage:

he4dea4c.jpg

Yep, it's EXACTLY the same as the Chevy (and all similar era Revellogram NASCAR kits), so isn't going to present any problems whatsoever in the construction. Challenge will be to make it look different to it's half-brother !!

AFN.

Ian.

Ernie's last ride...

I have the pre-painted kit at my shop do you need the body

No thank you, I'm happy with the kit, just need to get the decals and I'm good to go.

Ian.

I'll see what is in the kit tomorrow ..... I was thinking if the body is pre-painted don't think there would be any decals other than the little fender area ones .... I may need your addy ...... I'll do something with the kit ..... I have to think on it ..... :hmmm

Ernie's last ride...

I'll see what is in the kit tomorrow ..... I was thinking if the body is pre-painted don't think there would be any decals other than the little fender area ones .... I may need your addy ...... I'll do something with the kit

It's probably my fault, I wasn't clear.

I really appreciate the offer, but I've got the Slixx decals in my 'cart' over at Mike Herman's on-line store (along with a couple of other goodies). The reason there's a delay is transferring money from here in NZ, on to UK, then on to the States. Sometimes that takes a couple of minutes, sometimes a day or two.

So please don't open any boxed kits on my behalf, I've got it covered. Thanks.

:v

Ian.

Ernie's last ride...

Don't worry Ian .... I don't have the right cars .... right bodies just different years .... the M&M car is the Ken Schrader 2000 Gran Prix ....

ha8d5947.JPG

Pro finish body ..... but it was a M&M's ......... :eek:ldguy

h66f577f.JPG

I had this one also .... 93 Ford thunder bird driven by "Hut Strickland Jr. .... It is the #27 but not Bill Elliot's .......

ha5ed297.JPG

But this 1994 ...... Lumina driven by Terry Labonte ...... I did Have ..... :eek:ldguy
Don't worry haven't opened any ...... But it must be very hard to move a NASCAR model ..... :eek:ldguy

Ernie's last ride...

Meanwhile...

h53c78c1.JPG

h0ac9d15.JPG

h89e27da.JPG

...Been 'tinkering' with Ernie's Pontiac aswell. Demands upon my time are really high just now, but still managing to steal an odd 30min session here and there. The yellow is my own mix of Tamiya acrylics, 'Lemon Yellow' with a touch of Orange, looks great in my opinion, but I'm sure there's a NASCAR modelling equivalent of a 'rivet-counter' out there who'll be happy to tell me I'm completely wrong !!

Took three coats over a week or so sprayed at around 16psi to get the depth, and even then it dried 'satin' not glossy, so I buffed it back with an old cotton t-shirt and brushed-on a good coat of Johnsons Klear/Future. Left it overnight and then (today) shot two coats of Humbrol Gloss-Cote thinned with high quality cellulose.

Ready for decals now.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed it's sitting on the same rolling-chassis as the Monte Carlo... And it really is the same not a new one - :coolio See I told y'all they were identical/interchangeable.

OK, back to the Chevy, just thought I'd add a wee bit of variety in to the mix.

AFN

Ian.

Ernie's last ride...

So two weeks or so since I last posted some updates on the Pontiac. Well finding bench-time between the day-job, the house-husbanding and working at the FIFA U20 World Cup has been at best 'problematical'. So here's what I've managed to get done:

hcdbc46e.JPG

heba1c2b.JPG

h858fa84.JPG

Block is identical to the Chevy, all I've done is painted some of the detail a little differently to last time, but it looks fine to my eye.

The chassis/cage is coming together nicely, along with the rear suspension and other bits and pieces:

hdaf3218.JPG

he42ba12.JPG

h3a5ead6.JPG

Dash and wheel to do next, then dropping the motor in to place - always a nail-biting moment. Once they're glued in, I'll be able to add the front steering rack and finish the cage. May have the completed rolling chassis up by next weekend with some good luck and a following wind !!

AFN

Ian.

Ernie's last ride...

Looks very good Ian ... Nice motor painting ... Looks very good ... Good luck on getting all sub assembly's dropped into place ... :good:

Back