• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Does Family History factor in with your modeling?

Man with the history that Augusta has you'd think someone would pop one out.

This is the only one I could find and don't even know if it's available anymore.

hed4731f.jpg

:idonno

Is that class of ship what they referred to as the ol' Sway Back in "In Harms Way"?

Could be? They were called "Treaty" cruisers because they were built after the Washington Naval Treaty was signed which restricted naval tonnage. They were pretty thin skinned. Three were sunk during the Guadalcanal/Solomon Islands campaign.

B)

Is that class of ship what they referred to as the ol' Sway Back in "In Harms Way"?

Could be? They were called "Treaty" cruisers because they were built after the Washington Naval Treaty was signed which restricted naval tonnage. They were pretty thin skinned. Three were sunk during the Guadalcanal/Solomon Islands campaign.

B)

Might be Bob. I recall they were fast ships since they were light skinned. Infact, the Augusta was originally laid down as a CL instead of a CA

Ok fellas, I could use some help in deciphering a couple pages... These are Royal Navy Service records on 2 cousins of my grandmother on mom's side. Looks like one had served aboard the Hood! B)

h3cc50bb.jpg

h5a7f821.jpg

I guess that in some ways family history does affect us in what we model.

My Grandfateher served in the Canadian Army during WW1 and saw lots of combat including Passchendaele. My dad served in the Canadian Army in WW2 first as a motorcycle despatch rider then as a vehicle mechanic sometimes behind enemky lines recovering something. I served with the Canadian Army in the 1970s.

Stories told to me by Grandad and dad and things I saw were the inspiration for a lt of what I'd like to model. Trouble was that when i first started building models there was very little in any scale in styrene for British let alone Canadian subjects for either WW1 or WW2. Even today it's a franken-assemble if I want to model the FN C1A1 rifle Canada used. At least Italeri made some British style FNs in styrene that were a good basis to bash 2with other parts to create a FN C1A1. Too bad there were only 3 per kit and that accessory set and that it's long out of production.

It's good to see so much becoming available now in styrene that's suitable for Canadian vehicles. Plus the www has become much better with more information on stuff that was used by Canada.

So again, yes, familly history plays a part in some stuff I model.

Cheers from Peter

Interesting read of an ancestor's Find-A-Grave....
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5556208&ref=acom

My Grandfather served in Syria, Bouganville and Borneo during WW2. I still have his Medals, Discharge Papers, Leave Pass and an English/Japanese Translation Book which apparently is very Rare. My Uncles served in the RAAF. My Grandfather on Dad's side served at the Somme with the Northumberland Fusilliers in WW1 and another Uncle served in the RAN. I was accepted for the RAN but my Father said enough of the Family had served in the Forces. Was really pissed off but cannot do much about it now.

Great History!

Don't feel bad about not serving. Not everyone can, and many who do should have rethought the decision!

I was in tech school with another 2d Lt who had an advanced degree in physics and who's head was always somewhere else. Nice guy, but a total space case. He lasted 6 months in an operational unit and was transferred to a research posting. He stayed the required 4 years and then went back to academia where he belonged.

I've been working on one of my DAY lines this past week and a couple of new found cousins on Facebook have been doing alot of digging. Both of them have done the DNA testing thing & I haven't since I can't afford it. This one cousin, we're not sure how she fits in with my tree yet. Although, she had a strong DNA hit on a great grand-uncle of mine! (My great grandma's youngest brother). The other is thru my great great grandfather's sister.

Thanks to my cousin Terry, I now have a photo of my 4th great grandmother!! :woohoo: :geek (y)
h048d220.jpg

Hannah [JOHNSTON] DAY

h45864d0.jpg

Hannah's daughter& granddaughter

h0d85e5d.jpg

I'm also awaiting a CD to arrive [from cousin Terry] of a DAY family history book his aunt made some 50 yrs ago!! :hmmm :drool

h5c2fdd7.jpg

I honored my father by building this diorama featuring an M18 Hellcat tank destroyer. He drove one across Belgium and into Germany after his unit was attached to Patton.
He still recalls its amazing speed compared to other armoured vehicles and the sheer power of the 50 cal. machine gun. He says one of his fellow recruits nearly killed a dozen men during basic training when he froze on the trigger at the firing range.
I personalized the project by depicting a Hellcat crew asking for directions. My mother always said he couldn't find his way out of the driveway.
His father was gassed in the trenches during WWI, but I haven't been able to find any further details. My father says he remembers him throwing up into a bucket next to the bed every morning. He died when I was very young.
The rest of the family were airmen.
Unfortunately, I've never been able to build a decent aircraft or I'd try my hand at a C-47, which my dad's brother flew while towing a glider during the D Day Invasion.
My mother's brother was a navigator in the Royal Air Force. He flew bombing missions over Germany in a Lancaster and a Halifax. Flack damage twice forced his plane to crash land upon return. He was from Belfast, Northern Ireland. After the war, he joined the U.S. Air Force, from which he retired.
My eldest cousin flew a piper cub for recon purposes during Vietnam. He was assigned to intelligence because he knew Morse Code.
Another cousin, who graduated from the Naval Academy, retired as a captain. He had his own C-130 and flew scientists back and forth to a research station in Greenland before graduating from the War College and serving as a liaison to the Turkish Embassy. He also served aboard the USS Enterprise during Vietnam.

Very nice tribute to your father! :drinks

I've been busy going through all the info I received on a CD the other day from my cousin.

Back