• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DH88 Black Magic

Bob, I've been up close and personal with the US replica and I wouldn't do a wash on the wings at all. It was a smooth continuous finish.
What John said! That, and a civilian racing airplane might be fastidiously washed and polished. Make her SHINY!!
Do the little gaps in the tailplanes and vertical stabilizer need some attention?

What I would suggest is use some Alclad gloss black on it, then once it is covered, give it a wet mist of Mr. Color Leveling Thinner over it. The gloss black will level out smooth and like a black mirror. The pebble finish the Alclad tends to spray on as will smooth out with the wet thinner mist.

I used this trick with my P-47 metal finish for the base coat.

Only bad thing is any lint or flaw will stand out like it would on a metal finish.

Thanks Paul but I think i'll stay clear of Alclad on this build, I'll use the Tamiya family. But will do that thinner trick.

Now she's glossy.
1618692603217.png

Gonna sand her down and do some light coats trying to get a high gloss, or should I do that with the clear coat?

Looking good Bob. Too late now but when I use Tamiya gloss i first paint with the appropriate flat colour. So flat black and then gloss. Works well. If you have a practice kit try painting it black as you did this one. Then mist of a light coat of smoke. Then gloss. I think that will give you depth but I hate to tell you to experiment with this beaut. This comes from a funny trick when polishing boots for honour guards. Polished the boots to a high gloss with Kiwi black and then used Kiwi Oxblood shoe polish for one coat. Then black again. Gave it a deep gloss look and the black looked like a mirror. Hope that helps.
James

Too late now but when I use Tamiya gloss i first paint with the appropriate flat colour.
I did, think you missed a earlier post.

You talking about Tamiya smoke, X19? Don't have that but after trying to find some clean sanding sticks and pads I think I'm about to do a spruebro order.

Short of some acid rain hitting it I'm happy with the black gloss now.

1618880869841.png

Now the question is what clear coat, Testers or the freakin' Alclad. I can hear the collective gasp as I type :rotf

OOoooohh! Sleek and speedy looking! :tens:
Mist on several coats of Future after enough time has passed you are absolutely sure the paint has cured and the masks are off?
Decals first!!

OOoooohh! Sleek and speedy looking! :tens:
Mist on several coats of Future after enough time has passed you are absolutely sure the paint has cured and the masks are off?
Decals first!!
Time...I have to have instant gratification!!

OK Maybe I turn to the Jap tank on the beach for a week. :soldier

yep, it looks really sleek and speedy - very cool.

I don't get that clear coat question ... why not put the decals on now and then a sealing Future and after that the clear coat of the shine level it needs?

But as Rhino said, with or without a clear coat before decals, let it dry for at least 2 to 3 days

Martin I want to have a good seal coat on the black to protect it, give the decals or more smoother surface to bond with. I really don't want my chicken grease fingers to mar the paint job either! :rotf

understand, I'd just use Future then. The two you show there I've never used, the only other one I have besides Future is the Vallejo PU varnish

I'll have to practice with that alclad before doing it. It would surely seal it in wouldn't it?

Have not used the clear base coat. Spray some blackpaint on a piece of plastic then the clear over it and see what it does.

Back