• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DH88 Black Magic

View attachment 137281
I LOVE to decal!!

I put microscale liquid decal film on all the decals I make. It can be thinned with rubbing alcohol and sprayed in light coats or brushed on dinky decals. I don't worry about my brand new decals cracking, but it keeps the ink from running on the inkjet decals and seals the surfaces on the laser printed ones. Lots of decals that were past their prime were saved with this. Store it upside-down or it will vanish!

Then two, try putting the water on the model and massaging the decal into it until the decal floats free from the backing paper. I have had success setting decals with a bit of Future under them. A Tom Bly airliner trick.
You know, I might have a bottle of that stuff!

yep, decal film or a good coat of a clear laquer can help - at least that's what i do. My self printed decals I always brush with a clear laquer and I always put thinned future on the model where the decal will go and then slide the decal on.
As in Testors/MM/Rustoliam clear lacquer?

yep, decal film or a good coat of a clear laquer can help - at least that's what i do. My self printed decals I always brush with a clear laquer and I always put thinned future on the model where the decal will go and then slide the decal on.
Martin, what do you use to thin the Future?

You know, I might have a bottle of that stuff!

As in Testors/MM/Rustoliam clear lacquer?
I had a clear Humbrol in a Bottle and I also used Testors - in the end for the ink jet printed decals it was to seal the ink so it had to me laquer based, for sold decals you most probably can use almost everything I would guess - so, if you have decal film, then use this

Last edited:
I've had both Tamiya TS13 lacquer and Krylon Acrylic clears eat Alps decals. I have also had Microscale Decal film applied to Alps decals (Spada brand) react badly with setting solutions (Solvaset and Mr Mark Softer). Some of the Iliad Design decals that I used on my Stearman model broke up when I wet them. I brushed a coat of un-thinned Future on the second sheet and had no more break up issues.

Well I sprayed some of the Microscale Decal film on the paper. I'll have to wait till I get back to town to try it out.

2 points about that video
A/ the pilot really knows how to display an aircraft to the crowd. that's not just flying around , thats presenting the aircraft to photographers from every angle, excellent
B/ Landing with absolutely no forward vision must me petrifying in a priceless aircraft...note his final approach in a tight spiral before committing to a blind landing....

great stuff.

Thanks for sharing that video. As Paddy said, it was an excellent flying display. The machines are beautiful. I may have to track down a Mew Gull kit.

I talked with Bill Turner about flying the replica he built and he remarked that finding the runway was an adventure. The runway at Flabob where he kept the plane was pretty narrow and paved, not the best for the DH-88.

How about A Gee Bee next? Even though this is Cinco de Mayo, your Gee Bee could be American.
Apologies. I couldn't help myself!!

How about A Gee Bee next?
I commented a while back that I seem to fare better with Racers. That Hall's Bulldog from Williams Brothers I did a while back turned out ok, at least I finished it.
A Gee Bee would be nice in the showcase at the new house.

I ordered decals from SBS Models on Friday. They said they were basically only charging shipping. That's great cause they shipped via UPS and it's due on Monday!
So I worked on the gloss coat a bit more.

1621818662800.png

I'm going to try my best not to bugger up the new decals.

Back