• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DH88 Black Magic

I chickened out and decided to go safe with my MM Acrylic Clear because I didn't want to attack the base coat with a solvent based clear.

And I got done spraying and this happened.
1619309272374.png

Fired off some text to Mike since he's got the experience with gloss coats, haver a flurry of text I decided to come wash it off with water, my safe move right? Got back down in the garage and found this.

1619309376486.png

It's settling down so i'm going to give it till the AM to see how it goes. Might need to do a light polishing I guess?

Try some polishing compound on a piece of cloth. Then use future. I've had the same can of Turtle Wax polishing compound for 20 or so years that works for me. To get a real smooth gloss when your painting is to use thinner coats as you do successive coats. When I painted the Black Widow, I accidently used lacquer thinner as a final coat and it really shined, Thought it would be a major screw up. Gary S. #46 MASA

I carved out 15 minutes this am before the activates started. Sanded over those fish eyes with 1000 grit and hit it with clear coat again but with it much thinner.
1619916963554.png

I'm happy.

I tried a decal this evening, not sure what I did but started with the big code on the wing, it shattered coming off the paper. I'm ordering another sheet instead of trying to mask and paint. Not sure why it shattered.

I think I'll move ahead and do the rest of them and see how that works for me.

Last edited:
Not sure how to get over the decals. Guess I'll try warm water, think I read on another thread that decals like that better.

I would think warm water would help...but not sure. Isn't there some kind of spray stuff that people use when printing their own decals?

I would think warm water would help...but not sure. Isn't there some kind of spray stuff that people use when printing their own decals?
I used Tester decal spray from the rattle tin to seal my decals after printing when I used the inkjet. There should be others out there but I know it works.
James.

20210502_095555.jpg
I LOVE to decal!!

I put microscale liquid decal film on all the decals I make. It can be thinned with rubbing alcohol and sprayed in light coats or brushed on dinky decals. I don't worry about my brand new decals cracking, but it keeps the ink from running on the inkjet decals and seals the surfaces on the laser printed ones. Lots of decals that were past their prime were saved with this. Store it upside-down or it will vanish!

Then two, try putting the water on the model and massaging the decal into it until the decal floats free from the backing paper. I have had success setting decals with a bit of Future under them. A Tom Bly airliner trick.

yep, decal film or a good coat of a clear laquer can help - at least that's what i do. My self printed decals I always brush with a clear laquer and I always put thinned future on the model where the decal will go and then slide the decal on.

Back