• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Coanda-1910 - scratch built

As always very grateful for your gracious comments - Terry, Les, Sherm, Luiz & all

Minor update - all is done except for painting the cowling - this will be black, the darn turbine fan - still trying to sort out how to scratch build it, 15 curved blades :bang head plus minor cleaning up, touch up paint here and there if necessary.

hd89d3d8.JPG

h562e894.JPG

Thanks James :notworthy

Latest on this build - finally managed to sort out the turbine fan - or so I hope

hed95af4.JPG

That gave me grief ...it's made of thin sheet styrene glued to the central rod with CA. They are 8mm long, the diameter of the fan is 12 mm or so. I had to spin the rod as I was pushing it into place which caused them to bend and get into the shape that is showing in the pic. Requires painting still but at least it's in place.

Very cool. That worked quite well I think. I was wondering how you would do this and this particular method never even occured to me. Learned something new (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

Very cool. That worked quite well I think. I was wondering how you would do this and this particular method never even occured to me. Learned something new (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

Thanks James, that was attempt #5. Looking at the pic, I think couple more blades would have been perfect.

Thanks Ian. Compared to the first photos I could find it is detailed but the HI-RES pics I obtained from my friends at the Henri Coanda Association in Romania show few more things I haven't captured :(

Once the painting is done and the final tidy up process is complete, then I can claim it to be complete and move on to the next scratch build.

One more progress pic - cowling and turbofan now painted NATO black - Tamiya. Have to drybrush the blades with some Humbrol polished steel but that will be tomorrow.

h78df74b.JPG

I was wondering if we might be able to impose on you when you do your next scratch build project. Do the blog as you have this one, but also consolidate it and put a post in our Sprue University. There is a sub forum called Classroom with another forum called Scratch build. It is where people who scratch build something can go through techniques etc so those of us who arent quite so adept or who have never tried it can go and learn the techniques. You have quite a lot you could teach us and have come up with some very interesting solutions to the problems you have faced. The nice thing about the University is it is easy to check out a technique and learn while a thread like yours will slowly fade from the lime light as more blogs are added.
James

PS You could even do this one.

I was wondering if we might be able to impose on you when you do your next scratch build project. Do the blog as you have this one, but also consolidate it and put a post in our Sprue University. There is a sub forum called Classroom with another forum called Scratch build. It is where people who scratch build something can go through techniques etc so those of us who arent quite so adept or who have never tried it can go and learn the techniques. You have quite a lot you could teach us and have come up with some very interesting solutions to the problems you have faced. The nice thing about the University is it is easy to check out a technique and learn while a thread like yours will slowly fade from the lime light as more blogs are added.
James

PS You could even do this one.

Wow ! Thanks James :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I never thought I'd be able to put something together for others to have so many nice things to say, let alone teach any of the fine modellers here anything. I'd be happy to put it there and the next scratch too.
As for the solutions, trial and error mostly, really, nothing special I'd say. Have tried to many things that did not end up as I wanted but learnt a lot too. This took me the best of three months, if I were to do it again it would probably be ready in 4 weeks. Still not 100% happy with some elements there but will try to correct them.
Hope it's going to be ready in the next few days.

Luiz, thank you Sir. :good:

Laurence

Back