• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Minicraft 1/48 XF5F

jeaton01

I guess I forgot to post this one here, so here's a recap up to where it is now.

The box art:

0011xf5f.jpg

I painted the instrument panel with Model Master Black Chrome, and filled the dial faces with a dark grey, and then overcoated the faces with Alclad Gloss Clear. I can see I need to touch up some of the areas around the gauges in the pictures. It looked great while I was doing it, as usual. The panel will be very hard to see with a closed canopy.

There is no real alignment left and right for the fuselage on the wing. It looked easier to glue the nose on the wing first, as it at least had some guide rails on the wing. I think building the short nose version will be difficult because of this because the nose comes in three parts and has no fit to the leading edge of the wing.

0061xf5f.jpg

0071xf5f.jpg

Right now the white undercoat is drying on the upper wing panels in preparation for the yellow, but here are some pictures of the construction. I glued the nose section on the wing first, after figuring out where it fit left to right by dry fitting the aft fuselage. I aligned the aft fuselage with the lower wing, it has a shape that drops down to fair to the fuselage there. When the nose was dry enough I glued on the aft fuselage, being careful to get the sides spaced so there was a good match to the nose. There is no positive alignment, just some ridges that fit the short nose, not the long one The engines are nice, though the things they call the ignition harness are more like push rod housings except for being too short. Whatever, they look nice enough and fit well. There is an intake manifold and exhaust collector ring, but once in they will never be seen again by man nor beast. The cowling fronts fit well but I did spend some time eliminating the seams as there is no panel line there. As with the fuselage, there is no positive fit for the long nacelles, just some ridges on the bottom of the wing that are appropriate to the short nacelle/short nose version. The fit was pretty nice but took some care and planning to get all four cowling parts in place.

The Bearcat in the first photo is the original Hawk kit, which I built in 1968 and is still in great shape, a very sturdy model. Obviously the fit was great as filler was unknown to me then, and if set before a fan the propeller spins freely. Same kit that Carlos just built from the later Testors release.

0081xf5f.jpg

0091xf5f.jpg

Somewhat the same report as on the XP-72, fixing stuff I don't want to show, including filling the gun ports in the nose. I used decanted Tamiya AS-12 silver and Hataka C006 Orange Yellow.

0101xf5f.jpg

Last edited:
What was the callout number for the Orange yellow? I'm getting my ducks in a row for the up coming eduard wildcat. One option is a yellow wing bird. This is what I have on hand ,GUNNH024N Gloss Orange Yellow - Gunze Sangyo Hobby Colors Aqueous/Acrylic Paint
but it is more orange than anything.

Those yellow wings really POP! Nice work.

Mo, I'm sorry, I miss-spoke about the paint. I rechecked and find I used Hataka C006 Insignia (Orange) Yellow. The bottle says it matches FS 13538 and ANA 506. It is a solvent based lacquer. It was great to apply with the Badger 200 gravity feed airbrush.

I corrected the original post.

• Thanks
Reactions: Mo_
Aww........ No Blackhawks? OK! The "Tigercat's Daddy" is an interesting airplane. Go John, GO!:plane:flyingdog:

What a cool build. Sounds like a tough kit to build from what I'm reading here. Great job on filling those nose gun parts and pulling such great body work off.

I could spend another day on this one but as usual it's at the point where I have to give up because my shaky fingers keep breaking bits off. Oh, well, it's been that way since I was 8 or 9. Looks good lined up on the shelf with a yellow wing F4F-3, and FM-2, and an F6F. I didn't paint the back of the props flat black because pictures seemed to indicate that they weren't, but looking at the pictures and seeing how far ahead of the cockpit the props are I'm wondering about that. The props are removable so I can fix that if I choose to.

0111xf5f.jpg

0121xf5f.jpg

0131xf5f.jpg

0141xf5f.jpg

0151xf5f.jpg

0161xf5f.jpg

0181xf5f.jpg

0191xf5f.jpg

0201xf5f.jpg

I didn't paint the back of the props flat black because pictures seemed to indicate that they weren't,
Well you know they had to learn the lesson from something right?
Hard to look at this aircraft and not think of the possibilities that production and war needs could have brought, 37mm cannon in then nose...Couple of Merlins pullin' her through the clouds..
Really nice job John, :vgood:

Once again, another great job. Wonder what one would look like in the different Navy blue camo schemes. Gary S.

Thanks, Gary, Bob, and Paul.

The airplane (there was only one, it was modified to the longer nose), in it's later days was painted in the earliest camo scheme. It might look pretty cool in the 3 tone scheme. However, if I build the other kit I have it will be the short nose Blackhawk scheme!

HAWK-AAAAA!! I think Terry did the Blackhawk scheme some time back. It was amazing!
Trapping aboard with a dead engine and those leetle beetie rudders could prove dicey. We can see where the wing fold might have gone, not so unlike the F7F. One can only wonder what Captain Eric Brown would have said about testing her. :notworthy

Back