• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Hope Gone!

Re:To The Bitter End!

You're kinda glossing over what you did here Laura...details...it's all in the details.

Lookin good Laura! I've simular but smaller in mind for project so I'm watching closely.

Terry ;)

again several days in the thinktank and yesterday i put away the houseruin and started with the bridge ... i'll be so glad when all that diowork is done!

mexican music again: Amduscia - Melodies For The Devil

this is the state of where i was this morning:

bruecke1_20100823_1224835231.jpg

bruecke2_20100823_1470045795.jpg

and this is where we are now:

bruecke3_20100823_1563878205.jpg

bruecke5_20100823_1923574665.jpg

bruecke4_20100823_1086187941.jpg

the stones are cardboard on styrofoam, a modelrailroad accessory in 1:87 scale and the road surface is sanding paper ... still a lot of work to do!

g060.gif

I'd like to borrow your thinktank for a bit if this is what it produces...Thumbsup!

The bridge looks awesome! The architectural details are very convincing! (y)

Where have I been? I missed out on this thread. Enjoy the build, it is looking like one to remember... Bob Senior's inspiration is showing. How big is the base?

Regards,

andyfettes wrote:
I like that Bridge a lot :)

i hate it! after having uploaded the pics i realized that it looks more like a countryside bridge than a city channel bridge so i made a new one!

pics will follow when i'm done with cobblestone carving! (yikes!)

sharkmouth wrote:
Where have I been?

to poland! ;)

sharkmouth wrote:
How big is the base?

the base measures 60cmx45cm ... :S ... first time i measured the size!

LAURA,

WOW ! You take Scratch building th Buildings in a Whole different Direction !! Pure Genius ! Awesome ! I'm taking Notes !!

Roll-On Sista' !! Great JOB !!

ERIK

Hi Laura, sets itself up, great! :woohoo: . I look forward to see more and I'll follow this post with pleasure !! ;)

Hi Laura,

perfect work( with plastic and paper ;) )
This metod(build sceleton from paper) I try it soon I hope.

Cheers.
Pavel

Didn't see this thread until today. So, after reading it from the first page, I can only say WOW!

Ruben

panzerace007 wrote:
You take Scratch building the Buildings in a Whole different Direction!! Pure Genius!

wrong! bob letterman took scratchbuilding buildings in a whole different direction! kudos should go to him!

there's nothing i hate more in modelling than when someone takes someone else's kudos! i always give credit to the one whom i learned something from! :)

well ... i'm finally done with cobblestone carving and my doggy could have done that better, so now i'm scratching my head on how to improve the cobblestones ...

i also started to basepaint the ruin! please note that this won't be the final look of the ruin! the wooden floor was stained with delicious soy sauce, courtesy of cooler king glenn's genius idea!

- advantage: ready to use, easy to apply, beautiful color, smells good!

- disadvantage: since i stained the floor i have a permanent soy smell in the living room (where i do the work at the moment!) and i have a permanent hunger for sushi since!

i also made bridge v2.0 ... looks better now!

my biggest problem at the moment is that i'm increasingly getting tired of that work and have to motivate myself to continue! i think i'll mount everything today or tomorrow and start to build up the rubble ... and i need a lot of rubble! after that work i can start to detail paint the ruin, bridge and all the rest ... mew! yikes!

since i feel like in hell and to the memory of edgar acevedo ( :( R.I.P. :( ) again amduscia: Amduscia - Mictlan: Entrada Al Infierno

bruecke6_1_20100903_1822943006.jpg

bruecke7_2_20100903_1757351204.jpg

hausruine5_3_20100903_1932577344.jpg

hausruine6_4_20100903_1629859601.jpg

g060.gif

I've been trying to avoid sodium and soy is off the list. But it does smell good.

Laura take the kudos! We all learn as much as we can but applying what we learn deserves credit.

It looks great, keep going!

Those bridges are both way nice . I wish I could do that !

Richie had a really battered old model book by a guy called Stan Catchpole , I think he used to write for Military Modelling years and years ago , he used to illustrate all his own techaniques , anyway , he had this method for making cobblestones by gluing split peas with white glue , flat side down and packed in tight to each other . Once dried they were sanded down and then painted etc , I can see how it would work .

Anyway it looks awesome and do not get splinters in your tongue from licking the floorboards ;) :woohoo:

Jenny :kiss:

split peas! how genius! hmmmmmmmmmm ...
a014.gif
... that would increase the costs for this no-cost-diorama from 4,79€ for a new bottle of white glue to 6,78€ ... but worth taking it into consideration!

btw ... you really can do that with those bridges! you only have to build the cardboard framing, veneering is done in a second with those styrofoam boards! ( http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/246909/ )

Lookin good Laura!! I,m watching so that I can try it myself later on.

Terry B)

Ive got another suggestion for cobblestones, if I may,..........

Polystyrene breaks down into little round bobble shapes and you can glue them down with a minimum of watered down white glue as they are so light and they look good too when primed and painted accordingly

Jenny is right about Stan Catchpoles 70s/80s tips and tricks in Mil Mod :)

split peas + white glue = not so genius!

but:

HEUREKA!!!

persistence pays - i think i found the perfect solution and will be able to start the cobblestone street tomorrow morning!

puy lentils and red lentils are just perfect, i also found a strong and pasty glue that will easen the slave work task of placing the lentils in place!

Back