• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/72 DH.88 Comet Racer And Resin Cockpit set. TLAR Models #523

The plan was to make a "red candy" paint job for the #34 Grosvenor House Comet that would really pop!
20231023_195251 (2).jpg20230702_180306.jpg
Alclad Chrome over Future with Tamiya clear colors worked on the Gaffney Peachoid and the Golden Fying Fluck award, see?
My Tamiya clear red just isn't red enough for this Comet model.
(Sniff, sob) I'll just paint it regular accurate red (sob sniff) and depart from my delusions of model grandeur. :cry:

The second coat didn't get any more red. Still Candy Persimmon. Still pretty, but, No.
A GTO Judge maybe?

20231114_210548.jpg20231114_214218.jpg
The 2014 kit decals are impressively opaque. My marketing manager and I will be having a "Conversation". The cockpit set was Mastered and cast for a model Airfix no longer produces. After just 66 years! "You're FIRED!" :tomato:
silly prick!

One more coat of Future and I can de-mask, start working on the open canopy paint and finish the cockpit details..................
20231128_164241.jpg
Or NOT.
This part did not survive being rolled over by my desk chair very many times. I sent SOS to model friends to see about any help they could be. I REALLY do not want to buy another Airfix DH.88 kit.
Plastic Passion still makes their very fine 1/72 upgrade set. It includes 2 Vac canopies and a set of improved, weighted tires, among other things.
Freight from Jolly Old England is cost prohibitive.

Help is on the way. Obi-Bob Kenobi has an interesting idea! Stay tuned to see how finishing the oldest airplane model I ever have progresses!
Now where did I put that Monogram Speedee-Bilt B-26 Invader Kit?
34 plastic parts, Bay-bee!!!

And that is the original MacRobertson race winner. I love that they have restored it to flying condition but considering it's the only one of the original 5 still flying, should they fly it?

She's a classy Lady. Thanks Paddy!
I wonder what the DH.88 sounds like flying by. I'll bet is is cool in person. .
The old Airfix issue has no provision for engine exhausts.

20231209_155035.jpg
Salvation is nigh! The donor parts Comet came today.
Twist-twist, flex-bend-bend, POP! Canopy came off clean!
That being said, I looked over the remains of the wrecked 1/72 SBS DH.88.
This is a STUNNING Comet model! Pitot tube, Navigation lights, exhaust stacks and lots of stuff in the cockpit I didn't make for my set.
My impressed!
Thanks Bob!

Having received your Comet to salvage, I can see first hand, what a fine airplane model you make. No gaps or seams, the canopy has the interior color under the exterior color. No silvering under the big decals. Nice job, 'Pup!
The Black Magic scheme is a classy looking Lady!

Having received your Comet to salvage, I can see first hand, what a fine airplane model you make. No gaps or seams, the canopy has the interior color under the exterior color. No silvering under the big decals. Nice job, 'Pup!

The Black Magic scheme is a classy looking Lady!
I'm wondering if you didn't get another model from someone now.
Lot of credit has to go to SBS models for such a fine kit.

20240407_091615.jpg20240407_091433.jpg
Mains are going on. Tamiya X-7 Red over Bob's original black looks promising. I hope to finish the Old Girl in time for Fleacon 20 next weekend.
In a lateral promotion, the TLAR marketing executive that thought the DH.88 cockpit for a discontinued Airfix 1/72 kit would be a good seller has been shifted over to Shipping and Receiving. I couldn't fire this ding-a-ling. He is a fine bartender. :lol:

Back