• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

De Havilland DH88 Comet

I like it the way it is, wouldn't darken it at all and have it looking like a 3d diagram !!

No disrespect intended to anyone else, it looks 'right' to my eye.

Ian.

It may be the photo, but the outside aileron area looks very dark compared to the rest. If anything (in my mind) that would be lighter since it's a moving surface.

My thinking is it would be darker because it's a movable surface, the leading edge of the aileron would be deeper as opposed to a panel that's flush with it's neighbor. I do need to make them more consistent, seems to taper off.

Using the wiki photo we can see that the panel line behind the leading edge of the wing is pretty much invisible but the aileron, as well as the rudder and elevator, are well defined, that's what I'm going for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH.88#/media/File:De_Havilland_DH88_Comet.jpg

I guess I'm still stuck in armor mode. I was thinking the wash was where grime would collect.

I hear you regarding the aileron and elevator are definitely darker than the surrounding areas, maybe it's the striking difference between the grey and the wash thats catching my eye.

I'm not intending to criticize, I love your build.

Hey that's why I posted it was to get feedback. I saw someone else do altering colors on the panels and it looked good, that's what I was trying to accomplish. Think it needs to be sharpened a bit though.

One thing i'm disappointed in is the top of the nose there are two fuel doors. The detail got scrubbed away sanding the seam so I found a couple of panels in the Archer set that looked fair. But the multiple layers of paint and clear has buried the resin to the point it doesn't hold a wash. Can't get it to show up.

Just thinking out loud here . :coolio Since guys that like to build biplanes like to highlight the rib work for contrast.... I went with a light gray wash on the yak ailerons ( almost the same )

I have not decided whether I like that or not :idonno Any thoughts :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Well hurry up and make your mind up, I'm gonna seal it up soon.

:popcorn

Maybe i need to use that color wheel thingy to figure out what colors to wash with.

Something I did with a plane years ago was to spray a slightly darker color between the ribs. This gave a nice contrast (extremely subtle contrast!) that looked awesome.

To justify it, look at it this way. If the panel is painted an opaque color, the hard points (edges of the ribs) get more wind wear than the surfaces between. This is true as there is usually rib tape stitched in over the ribs for reinforcement. It could also be applied to the color. More wear on that area could tend to lighten it a bit.

WWI aircraft are a little different as the wings were not always doped to an opaque finish. Translucent fabrics would really tend to be dark between the ribs looking down from the top. From the underside though the translucent fabric would be much lighter between the ribs. That is why I wish WNW would do the wings in a translucent styrene rather than the dark grey they use. Years ago I bought a little Lindbergh PT boat kit that the plastic only had a hint of pigment in it. There were swirls in the plastic but if held up to light it transmitted the light through quite well. In all other aspects it was just like the light grey pigmented plastics our current kits come in.

If the wings were translucent, you could pre-shade the ribs and apply a light color coat of light blue or natural linen and get a very realistic result on how the model would look.

Anyway, here is a photo of an early B-25 that the OD paint has weathered a bit. Notice how much lighter the fabric covered ailerons and control surfaces are compared to the painted metal. Also the top of the wings are lighter than the sides of the fuselage. Anyway this is an awesome photo in that it shows so much weathering detail in color.

B-25-Calif42.jpg

Thanks Guys, Paul that's a cool shot, you can see the foot steps over the wing where they maintenance the engines.
that shot shows what I'm talking about, you can't hardly see any panel lines but the shape of the control surfaces are clearly outlined, even the trim tabs. The ribs on the control surfaces? I got another plan for that. :pilot

I say leave as is (which looks great). Question...when you look at the image of the B-25....do you see one color? If you do I can't help you. If you see more than one color then we have a starting point. The color difference between the metal and cloth surfaces always looks different no matter how much weathering has taken place. Shading is more about how light effects an object than how it's "weathered" "Weathering" is the effect dirt, oil, and paint damage has on the surface of an object. When shading or highlighting an area use a lighter or darker version of the base color (In your case gray).

Carry on!

:salute

I say leave as is (which looks great). Question...when you look at the image of the B-25....do you see one color? If you do I can't help you.

:salute

:rotf

There's a simular shot of a P61

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Northrop_P-61_green_airborne.jpg

Can't seem to img tag photos from wiki anymore.

Again, the grey is not going to get much weathering beyond what we have here.

I'd leave it alone. Looks fantastic!! If you wanted to change the color a little try dry brushing with white artist oils. Gary

It's when I get to this point in the finish cycle that I ask myself, do I want to try one more effect and risk screwing it up or just be happy with the way it is, the second choice usually wins ! Obviously your call but like the others, I like it just the way it is !

It's when I get to this point in the finish cycle that I ask myself, do I want to try one more effect and risk screwing it up or just be happy with the way it is, the second choice usually wins ! Obviously your call but like the others, I like it just the way it is !

I know Gary, when is enough enough?

That's why I want to get a good seal coat on it, in case I screw up I can wipe it off, hopefully. :drunk

Yup those 2 photos are gems for doing weathering on OD. What is amazing is how solid the national markings still look on them compared to the fading on the green paint.

Different colors all fade at different rates. Red can be the worst though blue fabric (like in my old boss's old hot air balloon) will deteriorate before red material. (y)

Oops also meant to say, isn't this a museum plane? I don't think the original ever was mistreated to any great extent so keep it shiny.

Not a museum piece but a racer, no the point of these photos was to show how the panel lines and control surfaces are not the same colors.

But I do want to do an OD aircraft now. :pilot

Back