• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

De Havilland DH88 Comet

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Think I need a distraction from work work work (which has been dominating on and off hours lately). I picked up this SBS Models DH 88 at the IPMS show. I wasn't sure what the aircraft was, even tapped the accompanying experts at the time and it didn't jump out at us even though I was way off thinking it was post war racer.

h516eb73.jpg

Nice once piece box with flip top, lots of bubble wrap to protect the crisp resin inside.

h89f09f4.jpg

7 bags of goodies. Lots of stuff in there. Fret of PE, one clear that from first look, appears a little cloudy but we'll see once it's cleaned up.

hf03e13d.jpg

Decals look cool don't they, not sure i'm going to try the racing stripes or just the basic blue top. We'll see.

Has supplemental instructions for the Australian which includes a radio, some blisters on the outside of the engine nacelles, guess they had different power plant, and also a typewriter. :idonno That's what it's labeled. I'm betting one of our guys already knows the story on that.

h9a06f41.jpg

hbef2787.jpg

Basic instructions that you would expect from a kit that's labeled "for the experienced modeler", which begs the question, why am I taking it on. :bang head

I'm going to take my time on this, somehting to play with. First thing to do is clean up the parts from the pour slabs and give them a good soaking so paint will stick. I tell ya, one of the seats is so thin I can almost see through it. Great casting!

I've read it a couple of times James, didn't see anything about a typewriter though. :rotf

thanks. :pilot

Check out how he has to work the rudder to keep it in line with the runway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused. Reading that there were only 5 DH88 built was Grosvenor House and The Orphan the same aircraft?

It was.

:coolio

I really enjoyed talking to the SBS people. Very friendly.

Their castings look to be first rate but have yet to assemble any of their kits.

Here's hoping it goes together as well as they appear to be.

Cheers, Christian B)

I've only found one review so far and it's on a pay site, guess this will have to do as build review.

HTH
James

Waiting on paint to dry on the Bradley I figure whip this out.

Ran it in some windex and the ultrasonic to clean it up.

Parts are amazing, level of engineering is top notch! Parts actually fit the slots they are made for!

hd552d2f.jpg

h1320d95.jpg

Quick dry fit of the cockpit, fuselage and the wing center section that the cockpit builds up from. Still have some resin to clean up for the fit to be right but it's really going together nicely. I'll try to get some better shots of the cockpit detail that will be lost inside.

Back