• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

De Havilland DH88 Comet

Real close.

h2ca8311.jpg

hfec9872.jpg

hac7952f.jpg

:pilot

I wonder if those guards protected the tires from stuff thrown back by the prop or stopped stuff flinging of the tires into the prop.

Used a Blue Grey wash from Vallejo for the panels, a darker grey for control surfaces.

not sealed up yet so I can wash it out.

hbc064f5.jpg

h86efbd1.jpg

What do you think?

It may be the photo, but the outside aileron area looks very dark compared to the rest. If anything (in my mind) that would be lighter since it's a moving surface.

It may be the photo, but the outside aileron area looks very dark compared to the rest. If anything (in my mind) that would be lighter since it's a moving surface.

My thinking is it would be darker because it's a movable surface, the leading edge of the aileron would be deeper as opposed to a panel that's flush with it's neighbor. I do need to make them more consistent, seems to taper off.

Using the wiki photo we can see that the panel line behind the leading edge of the wing is pretty much invisible but the aileron, as well as the rudder and elevator, are well defined, that's what I'm going for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH.88#/media/File:De_Havilland_DH88_Comet.jpg

My thinking is it would be darker because it's a movable surface, the leading edge of the aileron would be deeper as opposed to a panel that's flush with it's neighbor. I do need to make them more consistent, seems to taper off.

Using the wiki photo we can see that the panel line behind the leading edge of the wing is pretty much invisible but the aileron, as well as the rudder and elevator, are well defined, that's what I'm going for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH.88#/media/File:De_Havilland_DH88_Comet.jpg

I guess I'm still stuck in armor mode. I was thinking the wash was where grime would collect.

I hear you regarding the aileron and elevator are definitely darker than the surrounding areas, maybe it's the striking difference between the grey and the wash thats catching my eye.

I'm not intending to criticize, I love your build.

I guess I'm still stuck in armor mode. I was thinking the wash was where grime would collect.

I hear you regarding the aileron and elevator are definitely darker than the surrounding areas, maybe it's the striking difference between the grey and the wash thats catching my eye.

I'm not intending to criticize, I love your build.

Hey that's why I posted it was to get feedback. I saw someone else do altering colors on the panels and it looked good, that's what I was trying to accomplish. Think it needs to be sharpened a bit though.

One thing i'm disappointed in is the top of the nose there are two fuel doors. The detail got scrubbed away sanding the seam so I found a couple of panels in the Archer set that looked fair. But the multiple layers of paint and clear has buried the resin to the point it doesn't hold a wash. Can't get it to show up.

Back