• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Aichi B7A2 Grace By Sword Model

You would be the go to guy on this Chris. How did they secure on the torpedo in flight but fall off in water? I know water is more dense than air but flying through the air at 160 +- has to put stress on it.

Bob, I think the answer is most likely very simple. Being slammed into water at those sort of speeds would break most things. :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

looks real good !

Do you use acrylic paint ? if so what is the propeller color and brand

Except for the primer I use nearly all acrylics .

Had to search for the prop color since I had no recollection of painting it.

I believe it to be a newly found Vallejo paint . # 175 Bronze

Cheers, Christian B)

Great looking build Christian! Sorry a little late to the party, but what colors did you use for the green and gray? I have a grace as well and the only color suggestions i could find are either WEM colorcoat or Xtracolors. Neither of which can be shipped to the states anymore it seems. :angry:

Thanks
Mike

Great looking build Christian! Sorry a little late to the party, but what colors did you use for the green and gray? I have a grace as well and the only color suggestions i could find are either WEM colorcoat or Xtracolors. Neither of which can be shipped to the states anymore it seems. :angry:

Thanks
Mike

Mike, I used Tamiya paints . Gray = XF-12 (4) + xf-2 (1 )
Navy green = XF-70 (9) + XF-8 (2 )

Good grief what a lousy writing program. It wont let you keep symbols in their proper places.
shoot.gif

Let me know if you don't understand this.

I love Tamiyas and is even better Gunzes

Cheers, Christian B)

Excellent job on the torpedo Christian very nine paint job ... And your fix on the wood part very good ... Carry on ... :soldier

Thanks
Mike

Hey Mike, Mark's Models and Toys had Xtracrylix (by Xtracolor) at the show last weekend. Here's a link if you still are looking for that paint. http://www.starfighter-decals.com/xtracrylix-paint.html

Looking good, Chris! :drinks

You would be the go to guy on this Chris. How did they secure on the torpedo in flight but fall off in water? I know water is more dense than air but flying through the air at 160 +- has to put stress on it.

Bob, I think the answer is most likely very simple. Being slammed into water at those sort of speeds would break most things. :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

I think you're correct Bob. When the torpedo hit the water the 'fin' snapped off from the impact. Looking at the pic of the restored torpedo, I get that impression :hmmm

Drug this one out again with the intention of getting it finished :snoopy

I made a new wooden tail to resemble the museum version .

Grace_wooden_fins_001a.jpg

Now, I 'm off to try and sort off the transparencies :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

The fins are not for directional purposes but for stability in the air only. Since it is an air drop torpedo they didn't need directional control, sort of like our modern day air drop that uses a chute for stability and to slow the decent speed before it impacts the water. The wooden fins came off after impact so they would not interfere with the fish while it was heading to its target.

I understand :) I was just trying to keep the explanation short for those that might not know .

A better topic might be " why did the kit maker not provide them ? "

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Luiz, Mike, Bob, Paul :)

If I could just get these transparencies to behave, I'd be done in no time :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

Just could not get them to look good, so I tried to clean them up with a Tamiya thinner bath but that mostly gunked it up :unsure: Wiped off all I could and tossed them in a jar of Windex

Grace-windex_001a.jpg

We'll see what comes out tomorrow :vmad I'm annoyed !

Cheers, Christian B)

Back