• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Aichi B7A2 Grace By Sword Model

Over the last couple of days , I have been building bits and pieces for this. in between coats of paint.

Grace_fade_004a.jpg

but to day, I laid down some flat paint and started working on the fading of the paint job.

after reviewing these I may not be done yet

Grace_fade_001a.jpg

Since all the little access panel scribing is too shallow to hold stains I decided to paint them darker.

Grace_fade_002a.jpg

Finally the green circles around the Himonarus were way too light green so I tried to remedy that with a stencil but I was not peased with the outcome so I just brush painted the dark bands.

Grace_fade_003a.jpg

That makes them more realistic anyway since the real ones were brush painted.

Hope you're starting to like it . I'm starting to .

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian, I really like the fading of the paintwork, I know you didn't ask for suggestions as such, but I'd offer that you lighten the top of the wings/tailplane & upper fuselage a little more just to emphasise the 'bleaching' effect.

The darker access panels work very well, and the dark rings surrounding the Hinomaru's looks perfect to my eye.

Great work.

Ian.

Dear Christian...the fading/chipping effects looks very convincIng for me as well as the dark rings...as the others say : Great Job! (y)

Luiz

Christian, I really like the fading of the paintwork, I know you didn't ask for suggestions as such, but I'd offer that you lighten the top of the wings/tailplane & upper fuselage a little more just to emphasise the 'bleaching' effect.

The darker access panels work very well, and the dark rings surrounding the Hinomaru's looks perfect to my eye.

Great work.
Ian.

Hi Ian ! I know I did not ask but I'm always willing to listen .

I agree with you, it needs more . It's difficult to tell what I have while working on the process but it became more obvious when I was viewing the pix.
Just need to make sure I don't over do it .

Thanks for voicing your opinion :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Didn't get much done today ( The wife kept me busy )

But I did get this torpedo assembled for the grace.

torpedo_fins_001a.jpg

I replaced the square lugs with brass pin (since there were no mounting holes ) , installed a nose fuse and made the wooden stabilizing fins for it.

Cheers, Christian B)

While I wait for the primer to cure on the Claude , I decided to pick up the Grace and make a new wooden piece for the torpedo.

The last one was broken while securing the bird in the box for transporting to the club :vmad :vmad :vmad

Grace_torpedo_001a.jpg

Not a very simple task to make one but here is the replacement. :)

I really wonder what the actual wooden piece would have looked like since it only has to last for a one time use .

Finished wood or raw lumber ? I just don't know. Anyone out there have any clue ?

Cheers, Christian B)

You would be the go to guy on this Chris. How did they secure on the torpedo in flight but fall off in water? I know water is more dense than air but flying through the air at 160 +- has to put stress on it.

Not sure Bob . The few pictures I have seen of a torpedo on a bird are hidden by shadows . :coolio

As far as coming off is concerned it just looks like they could have been a slip fit over the fins.

Unfortunately, the books on Japanese planes seem to all be written without translations :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

Ha, this time I was able to Google one . Hope the restored version is correct. Looks easier than trying to do wood grain :rotf

Breakaway_fins_on_an_aerial_torpedo.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

looks real good !

Do you use acrylic paint ? if so what is the propeller color and brand

Back