• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle of Quatre Bras, June, 1815

I've been MIA for a bit, Gents, but I am still making progress. When the clouds part I gotta get the outside work done before more show up, lol. Yall know how that goes. Updates coming soon:)

Flag Bearer Finished

Finally, I can show some progress and close out the Flag Bearer. Bunker time has become a premium lately due to summer work, but we do what we can, right?

You’d think after painting four tartans by now that they would have been the toughest part, but working these long socks was no walk in the park. I had to redo the right sock twice while trying to keep the pattern straight as it wound around the leg. I sure do appreciate all the others to come, they’ll be a piece of cake, lol.

Using the methods and techniques mentioned before this figure moved along much quicker, minus the socks. He really doesn’t have a lot of detail to him, but the right side of the flag had to be tackled. That wasn’t as difficult as before either. There are a few areas I thought were a bit off, but you’d really have to look closely to find them. So, I’m calling this figure done.

_DSC0605b-vi.jpg
_DSC0621b-vi.jpg

I aplauogize for the poor photos. Trying to capture the flag with the figure will be handle differently when the final pics are taken. For now, this figure is in the curio cabinet safely tucked away until the base and weathering are done.

_DSC0609b-vi.jpg
_DSC0610b-vi.jpg
_DSC0612b-vi.jpg
_DSC0614b-vi.jpg

_DSC0616b-vi.jpg
_DSC0618b-vi.jpg
_DSC0620b-vi.jpg

Thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

Sargent Lancer

Sgt Lancer is finally done, but it took a bit longer than expected due to other than bunker issues, i.e., outside work. Ok, no worries, we Ruck On. I really love how this resin used has made so many problems with scratch and slag just easily disappear. The rework is quite nice from a flexibility stand point, and the time involved is very short. Fix it, get er done. This really is fast becoming the best set I have ever worked. And let’s just say this, working colors in the arena has been a challenge, but a fun run, to say the least. And no, I won’t be making a habit of it any time soon, HA!

_DSC0633b-vi.jpg

Please disregard the resin visible on his boot, it got rubbed off, even after a dull coat and several days drying time. Why does it always happen during the photo sessions? Who knows, but it does, HA! T’sall good, it’ll get taken care of in short order.

_DSC0625b-vi.jpg

_DSC0626b-vi.jpg

_DSC0629b-vi.jpg

_DSC0631b-vi.jpg

As you can see, nothing has changed in the process, nor has there been any major issues to deal with, so Sgt Lancer will be set aside with the other four to await the 42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" unit reunion. Did I mention I’m still having fun with each and every figure so far? Well, I am, and I really can’t wait to tackle that drum that Drummer boy has hanging from his waist,…………..Sheesh, really, ya gotta be kiddin me, right? Ah, I dream of olive drab in my sleep,…………..

Ruck On. Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

Last edited:
First Rifleman

The line-up is getting larger as time progresses. I’ve been behind the power curve lately, but things will pick up shortly. There are three more Highlanders to paint and two French troops left in the line-up, then the base work.

Here he is for your comments. Nothing in the process has changed from above, so we Ruck On, Bby!

Looks like these guys are getting anxious!

_DSC0640b-vi.jpg

The blood splatter and weathering will be taken care of later.

_DSC0642b-vi.jpg
_DSC0645b-vi.jpg

_DSC0647b-vi.jpg
_DSC0649b-vi.jpg

_DSC0652b-vi.jpg

Thanks for watching, more to follow ASAP. Cheers, Ski.

Battle of the Tartans, Part 2

After wrapping my head around the correct pattern, the Battle of the Tartans was well underway. The Officer figure has a checker board pattern which is incorrect whereas this pattern on Hatchet man is more correct. I’m no expert by any means when it comes to this portion of the process and had to have my pretty little woman, my wife, get my head straight on what I was looking at. She recognized it right off, but oh no, not me, HA! She’s a keeper!

_DSC0559b-vi.jpg

The colors used are pictured above, all acrylics. All of the black acrylics I have would not cooperate with the thin line process so I dug up my black resin dye and proceeded. I thinned it with water using small amounts on the brush to avoid “blob” lines. It was a long painful process to get the lines in place and, as you can see, it ain’t pretty. I went back with each color to fix some of the line “blobs” wherever possible, but the thickness of some of the lines are glaring me in the face.

These pleats are nothing but a nightmare, for me anyway, just sayin. This is a frustrating process, but it turned out acceptable enough, especially when later I’ll give the tartan a few tonal washes so most of my boofs will not be easily visible. Like a good carpenter, ya gotta know how to hide your mistakes, right?

It sure would have been really swell to leave the tartan without the lines, but that would not be correct.

_DSC0561b-vi.jpg
_DSC0562b-vi.jpg
_DSC0564b-vi.jpg

Being self-critical, as I often am, I was not exactly pleased with the outcome of the lines. I recon after the last figure I will have perfected some process or technique that will make these tartans look real, but not yet, lol. Even using a 0000 brush doesn’t seem to help me with these lines. I’ve seen several examples of 54mm tartans painted, all different patterns, but they seem to have the patterns larger than they should be. I really didn’t want to over exaggerate the size of the pattern and therefore I made the job much harder than it could have been. Oh well, I carry on.

_DSC0566b-vi.jpg
_DSC0569b-vi.jpg

I will keep working my way down to the boots and set Hatchet Man aside to dry within the next few days. More to follow and thanks for watching.

Cheers, Ski.
Have you tried using a liner brush for the lines? Gary S.

Really fantastic
Tanks, Brother!

Howdy, Gary. Yes, I'm using a Windsor Newton 0000 brush with black resin dye, diluted. After countless attempts, this combination seems to work best and the dye being slightly diluted allows time enough to get a line put down. By the time I finish the last figure I'll have a good understanding of the process and never, ever, everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr do it again! HA!

I dream in Olive Drab,.........................................

Dual to the End!

Suffering from a mild case of “burnout” on this set I was finally able to complete this latest figure. This one has a lot of action not only in his pose, but that face, sheesh! He’s about the ugliest bugger in the group, but he seems to have the situation under control, lol.

He’s viewed here in the upright position, but within the scene he’s leaning over the French Coursier and it looks like a battle to the death. This is one of the more dynamic figures within Vladimir’s set and it looks like a difficult sculpt, regardless. I really appreciate this sculpt, it’s incredible in this scale and very impressive, to say the least.

Painting these figures have become routine, so if there’s anything you’re not sure of, check the posts above, they’re all there in more detail.

_DSC0654b-vi.jpg
_DSC0656b-vi.jpg
_DSC0657b-vi.jpg

Looking closely, it appears I have missed filling the gaps within the arm pit, oops! No worries, that will be handle mighty right quick. The bayonet scabbard must be painted and installed as well as a layer of Dull Coat within a few days to dull down the sheen. As mentioned before all weathering and blood splatters will be done when all the figures are completed.

_DSC0659b-vi.jpg
_DSC0662b-vi.jpg
_DSC0665b-vi.jpg

Well, I’m down to two more “tartan” lads, so hopefully before the snow flies I’ll have this beauty of a set completed. I fully expect to have the base started by mid-November. That will be fun for me, I always love doing ground work.

Thanks for watchin, comments are always welcome. If you see anything else I may have missed, please holler.

Cheers, Ski.

Back