• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1:48 Spitfire IX (#2)

ij001

And the second Spit IX is the less than co-operative ICM kit:

icm1e.jpg

icm1d.jpg

icm1a.jpg

icm1b.jpg

icm1c.jpg

icm1f.jpg

As you can see, there really is a lot of work to do here. Not too obvious is the huge elongated sink-holes ahead of each aileron which I've already filled and sanded, as well as the numerous pin holes all over the fuselage. What a nightmare :pinch: - And before anybody asks... No I haven't put the engine in, so if you want a nicely detailed Merlin, just let me know, I'll pack it off to you !!

As ever all comments, questions and outrage are welcome.

Ian

:eek:hmy: like you said there's a lot of work to be done on this kit, but I believe that you'll take care of it all! :drinks :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Thats a really nasty joint. It sucks about the sink holes also. Looks like you are conquering it though.
:popcorn
James

And the second Spit IX is the less than co-operative ICM kit:

As you can see, there really is a lot of work to do here. Not too obvious is the huge elongated sink-holes ahead of each aileron which I've already filled and sanded, as well as the numerous pin holes all over the fuselage. What a nightmare :pinch: - And before anybody asks... No I haven't put the engine in, so if you want a nicely detailed Merlin, just let me know, I'll pack it off to you !!

As ever all comments, questions and outrage are welcome.

Ian

Hi there.

If you don't want it Id love to get that engine.

Cheers

If you want to build the perfect shape MkIX i'm pretty sure you have to start with the ICM kit. I have it along with all the resin bits to make it spot on.......just never got round to it. I dont think anyone ever got the engine to fit :)

I think Peter wants the engine for a tank ? :)

Having gotten to this point using nothing more than the 'old school' PSR (putty, sand, repeat) technique, I'm quite pleased with m'self. I have resin bits from Airwaves and Ultracast to add, and there's a little Eduard etch in the cockpit aswell. There's also a belly tank that I believe has been with me since it fell out of an Otaki Spit VIII box around twenty-five years ago !!

Love a challenge :gogo

Ian

If you want to build the perfect shape MkIX i'm pretty sure you have to start with the ICM kit. I have it along with all the resin bits to make it spot on.......just never got round to it. I dont think anyone ever got the engine to fit :)

I think Peter wants the engine for a tank ? :)

Nope not for a tank.

I have a few 1/48 scale aircraft that came with an engine. I like to assemble the engine and display the engine beside the aircraft. I have an SE-5a and a Hawker Fury that I kept the engines out of.

Cheers from Peter

I think I'm winning !! :gogo

icm2a.jpg

icm2b.jpg

icm2c.jpg

icm2d.jpg

icm2e.jpg

Peter, happy to send the Merlin to you, just PM me the address. Will be awhile tho' simply because I'm down here in NZ. Also you need to be aware that in order to hang the prop on the model, I needed to use the 'boss' and 'blanking plate' from the front of the block.

More soon. :pilot

Ian

I like your approach on shading Ian. Good timing, I plan on starting paint on the Corsair today. :popcorn

Just a few passes of grey, to highlight where I might need to do some more filling. Will get a basecoat on today, hopefully, which will be a much lighter grey.

Ian

Looks good Ian, I know what you are going through with the seamlines on your model, one of my kits has the same sort of troubles and I am going through the PSR cycle on it too.

Matrixone

icm3a.jpg

icm3b.jpg

Again two thin coats of 'Ocean Grey' over two thin coats of Med Sea Grey. More progress as soon as I can, possibly early next week.

Ian

Back