• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 & 1/700 USCG 41-Foot Utility Boat

AJ's burned down? Oh man, that was such a great place! I do hope they can rebuild. That place was almost a landmark.

h57f3d5e.JPG

h9de3fca.JPG

Construction begins with careful sandins of pour stubs. I outline with black marker, then smooth the upper & lower hulls until the black is gone.
Save the mast, radar, railings & cabin door, here isn't a whole lot of construction to the 1/700 or 1/350 41 UTB's. :dance

Since I lack the technology or equipment to make photo-etched parts, adding the most basic of the rugged 41's railings comes from copper wire, diligence and ingenuity. Bow railings are on. Holes marked for the midship safety railings. One of these old days I'll finish the build, paint up the ubiquitous US Coast Guard 41 UTB, decal and womp up
instructions and box art.
IMG_E2995.JPGIMG_E7552.JPG
Given what I've learned about mastering and molding since 2018, a re-tooled mold of the 41 is being considered.

I crackerjack of a headache awoke me last night. I passed the time waiting for Advil to ease my discomfort by paying attention to the most patient of US Coast Guard models.
IMG_E7555.JPG
.008 copper wire, some careful measuring and a little ingenuity. VOILA! Now, just do the same thing on the other side!
:hmm: still not quite right.
DO-OVER!
Hang in there! I'll get it right.

Last edited:
Nuh UH!! I had a migraine, NOT a hang-over!
That could be the problem! Too much blood in my alcohol stream! Whoddathunkit!
You're a GENIUS 'Pup!

20231103_183850.jpg20231103_183840.jpg
Under the heading of "Finishing Stuff" the 1/350 USCG 41 foot Utility Boat Large is in primer. All the metal bits and radar dish are on her. Kit # 218 includes 2 early Cummins-powered UTB's, Lower hulls for both and a couple of fishing boats to be rescued/towed or inspected.
Adding the .008 wire details proved a little tedious.
It's worth it!
She will make a convincing model of this US Coast Guard workhorse.
Thanks again for looking in after almost 2 years!

20231109_213615.jpg
I cain't abide things that are just WRONG. The deckhouse on the original 41' wasn't right. I think it adds a lot to this boat to frame the winders in and the stern rail needs added. This Master may well spawn more accurate (and easier, more fun to build) early Cummins powered and late Caterpillar powered US Coast Guard utility boats. Locating holes for the .008 wire railings will be drilled, Bigger fore and aft towing bitts are in the works. They need to be thick enough to drill for the .008 wire crossbuck. The lower hull plates are fine as they are, so Pshwoo! :doh:

With 12 kits prepped (now for the burn trash) I swore I wasn't going to change this, but it just wasn't accurate. If I'm not satisfied with it, I will NOT sell it to you!
Thanks again for looking in!
:drunksailor:
:salute:

20231202_074021.jpg20231202_074028.jpg20231202_074041.jpg
Included in Kit 218 was another 1/350 32-foot boat or 1/700 64 footer. It truly didn't lend itself to either scale, was vaguely detailed and not based on any actual vessel. George, my surrogate Dad calls models like this "The TLAR Ghost Fleet". Sales of the Universal Hull Set tells me the model ship community does not care for imaginary/imprecise models. Several other TLAR vessels are still "Ghosts".

Enter the 1/350 Wheeler Yacht Co. 25' Pleasure cruiser. I was toying with a new 1/350 S.S. Minnow, which began her life as a Wheeler Yachts 40-foot express bridge cruiser, but I'm not starting anything new until I get some of these old projects finished.

This boat Master will go in the revised, unreleased 2018 USCG 41 UTB set mold.
20231202_094516.jpg

In other news, The new 1/350 USCG 41' Master is complete. Optional engine intakes for Later Caterpillar or early Cummins powered Utility Boats, screws and new radar antenna will be included. The 32-foot crab fishing/smuggler Launch got a few small improvements today as well.
So goes my homage to the long serving, unsung rescue wrecker of the coastlines, lakes and rivers.
:Drinks:
:drunksailor:

Say the word Skipper!
I suppose you'll want a bottom. :facepalm:
An interior too? :wow:
Patience, my friends, not for a while yet. :bat
20231203_083627.jpg
I like a hatch in the lazarette. The forward hatch and sun visor for the bridge seemed logical as well. She's pretty swift, so in any kind of running swell, she'll be wet much of the time.

Beautiful work! Given the amazing variety of civilian power/pleasure boats out there, one would think you could market your 'ghost fleet' as a set of Marina pleasure boats all privately owned. That would make a cool little diorama showing a small or medium Marina with all these boats in it while a 1/700 scale warship passes by on the way to the Navy Yard further inside the channel....

Beautiful work! Given the amazing variety of civilian power/pleasure boats out there, one would think you could market your 'ghost fleet' as a set of Marina pleasure boats all privately owned. That would make a cool little diorama showing a small or medium Marina with all these boats in it while a 1/700 scale warship passes by on the way to the Navy Yard further inside the channel....
I think you have something there!
Would such a thing hang from your ceiling, or will be moving to a bigger house, my imaginative friend? :lol::yipee::lol:

LOL! I think I would have to find a shelf space to display it; or see if there's a space in the Hobby Day Hall to show it. Hanging from the ceiling would make it almost impossible to look at, unless you consider it a 'submarine's-eye-view'. LOL!

Hmmmmm. clear plastic base of water, with everything visible from below.....

I think you have something there! :hmm: :Drinks:

20231209_193224.jpg
New mold for the 1/350 UTB, props and radar mast Master was cleared this morning. The results look encouraging, but it's the first casting that tells the tale!
In the spirit of "Don't rush the chemicals" this happens at 1800 hrs tonight. 2 hours after that, the results will be revealed.
USCG stripe (3).jpg:capsmiley::salute:

Back