• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 USCG 110 Ft. Island Class Patrol Boat

Very nice! I do like the box art, but not sure what that pic is on the left side. Maybe someday I'll get enough money to buy one.

hc3a19b7.JPG

Starting on the base for the Island class diorama set.
I like this new tile shower rock board for bases. It's easy to cut, light and still ridged. It has a less than smooth texture that need filling for water-born subjects. I pick up scraps on job sites for free! (Model materials are EVERYWHERE!)
3M glue & a free plastic card to the rescue! Diluted with water & spread readily, I'm hoping to premier the 1/700 USCG Island class set at TigerCon this year, soon!

I am humbled by your comments. So many Men I have great admiration as Modelers for. 1/700 & 1/72 are my favorite scales to play in. Everything else seems too big. :idonno

hc280276.JPG

I hoped to achieve this water effect on the finished base.
This is Saran Wrap, right off the roll. If an adhesive could be found that would dry clear and leave the fragile, shiny texture, I could shave 2 steps of the water base process. I wondered if Future would cure in the absence of air.
:hmmm

hfa87be1.JPG

Look how the light refracts on to the hull of the Cutter! PREETIE! :yipee
In the end, I mixed & poured clear resin onto the Saran Wrap. Using the proven, time consuming process.
I've been working on this since September of 2017.
No reason to rush it now!

Thank you all again for all your encouraging comments!

Very nice looking water! I've never been successful at even coming close to making water at all, so I continue to put my ships on pedestals and bases.

EJ

20210930_204208.jpg20210930_204235.jpg
An addendum to the US Coast Guard Island class WPB kit story.
It seems Rafy was so pleased with his model of USCGC Chandeleur, he sent the coolest challenge coin I've ever seen, as a present for my efforts. Besides being a great honor to receive such a rare, precious gift, when the time comes to "pop coins" in an O-Club or Legion hall or VFW, Rafy has insured that I will never need to purchase a drink.
Mr. Rivera's pictures and input were instrumental in creating the 1/700 Island class Cutter model kit. This is certainly one more occasion to express my gratitude.

USCGC Mellon was Rafael's first assignment. She celebrated her 50th year of service in 2018, finished her final patrol in 2020 and was recently decommissioned and sold to Bahrain.

Many moon ago, JAG Collective produced a 1/700 kit of the Hamilton class 378' high endurance cutter, in her early and FRAM configurations. I have no knowledge of who owns the molds these days.

Thanks for looking in!

20220820_130707.jpg20220820_131059.jpg
The 1/700 USCG Island class WPB set is getting a face-lift and a new, smarter mold. These are the new unpainted island castings that go with the set.
Dock sections are included and a couple of different bits of nautical scenery. Having learned more about detailing Masters, the new 110 should be much more accurate and more fun to build.

Thanks Men!
20220826_194500.jpg110cu.jpgUSCG_wpb110_ft__bainbridge_Island_1.jpg
The little white racks on the afterdeck will hold life raft canisters inboard of the railings. There's a hatch in the lazarette I missed on the original master. Installing stiffeners on the bow spray shield continues. Additional details on the hull will be faithfully reproduced. The revised 110 cutter will include a cute little p/e Danforth anchor like the Bainbridge Island WPB has. TLAR customers that bought the original Island class WPB kit will receive the upgraded hull, RHI boat and deck house for free. I know who you are!
Thanks for looking in! :skipper::oldguy::salute:

20230619_025054.jpg
I guess I'm finishing things of late. A lighthouse keeper would need a good way to get groceries, beverages and ammunition to his cottage. The ladder and dock are new to this set.

Back