• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Gaga 3D Printed 1/700 RV Calypso Ocean Exploration Vessel

Rhino

Super Moderator
Who doesn't remember fondly The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau? How about the 1/125 Revell model of Calypso, that came with a helicopter, divers sharks, diving saucer, diving bell, ships boats and all the accouterment that the Cousteau boys got paid to goof off in the ocean with?
Revell Ag re-released this prized model ship, but the Cousteau Society gets really snippy about using their original vessel's name, so Revell of Germany changed the name of the kit to say "Ocean Exploration Vessel" and didn't include any of Calypso's original markings.
1702957357013.png

Now, our "Friends" in Asia care little for copyrights and released this:

In an outpouring of nostalgia and optimism, I bought not just one, but 2 models from the Communists. The idea was to give one to a friend, as his preference is civilian vessels. The more odd-ball, the better. The other would be converted to John Wayne's yacht MV Wild Goose. Both Calypso and Wild Goose began their careers and Navy YMS class 135-foot minesweepers.
20231218_205245.jpg20231218_205227.jpg
The 3D print looks tantalizing, No?! Length Over All is on the money. The beam dimension is correct. The lower hull doesn't look too bad. The forward goalpost mast is intricate and interesting! Neat-o rotor print!
20231212_234023.jpg20231213_002612.jpg20231213_002008.jpg
Now look closer. The bridge is cool, but just plain wrong. Calypso's stack is aft of the bridge not on top of the pilothouse. The main hull is 28 scale inches (.040 inches) too short from waterline to main deck, The stern is undershot, where Calypso's stern was pendicular, the boats face the wrong way and are awful. The aft hatch is off center and neither hatch is tall enough.
Have a look at the picture of the lower hull. See the fluting of the waterline where it scallops and peaks? Notice the underwater observation ball at the bow is missing? This was a research feature, not a bulbous bow to influence the ol' minesweeper's hydrodynamics, as she blazed along at her designed top speed of 15 knots. (running with the tide, with the wind on her stern) The printed resin is unforgiving and brittle. :bat

Look closely at the other small parts. The helicopter pad is not the right shape. Calypso carried a Hughes 300D helicopter on floats rather than an SA341 Gazelle on those long john donut lookin' things. The helipad wouldn't support the weight of a heavier Helo. There is no provision for mounting the helipad. The diving saucer lacks detail. Neither of my kits contained instructions or any decals.

I don't think the Chinese will get in any legal trouble over this 3D 1/700 ship model. It is called "Calypso" but there are few similarities to the actual Cousteau research vessel. My apologies to American small businesses. It would have been wise to spend these hard-earned dollars here at home. :smack:
YMS-1 Mine warfare vessel 1.gif
Chopping one of these up to make The Duke's yacht will not bring me any remorse. Such could be construed as a compassionate act of euthanasia.
It could be less trouble to find plans and start from scratch. :bm:

As for Christmas for my good friend and fellow waterline enthusiast, I deem this model un-present-able. :smack:

I realize there are few scale ship modelers here. Fewer still in 1/700 scale. This was on my mind.

Last edited:
Well it sucks that they got it all wrong. Is the Revel ship correct? I think I did one as a kid. I wondered about getting one a while back and now maybe I will if its a good model.
James

The 1/125 Revell and later Revell Ag. RV Calypso kit was awesome. These days this kit is hard to come by.
Duke bought his YMS-1 in 1962. "The Wild Geese" film was made in 1978.
I would not think the yacht was named for a movie that didn't release until 14 years later.:bat

Here's a nice linkie to YMS-328/La Beverie/Wild Goose' history.

Back