• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

That's right, finding the yellow chrome and aluminum dope, got the -3 wings with Eduard's gun bays. All I have to do is scrub off the remains of the failed -4 wings and I'm good to go. Hope this weekend will be restart. Got to clean the bench off some before heading this direction.

I have you to know, sir, I removed the last of the offending -4 wings last night. I have Eduards Flaps and Gunbay PE at the ready to build the -3 wings. Once that is done we start painting in Maritime Patrol Scheme..
piliot.gif

Have you started painting yet?? Its been like a whole day :laugh:

Looking good MP. I really enjoy seeing your work. Maybe the gang should elevate you to master class :evil: (y)

James

And so it goes, another round of as the twin wasp turns...
wildcat181.jpg

this is the underside of the top half of the wing, all the flap detail has been scrubbed away to make room for Eduards Flaps. Next update should have a couple of wings mounted!

The Lake Michigan FM-2 Wildcat is now up for sale on evilBay with lots of photographs of the disassembled aircraft. It is unrestored and the photographs are a gold mine for details.

Regards,

Saul, thanks for this, I didn't see your post till just now. Oh god, I hope they didn't use photobucket!!!

Just cruised over the pictures. Interesting to see how different the FM2 was from the F4F. And just how many Wildcats are in Lake Michigan?

Progress! Oh sweet, elusive progress!

wildcat182.jpg

Wings built, flaps have Eduard's treatment on them but I really don't like it. Makes the flaps way too thick in the trailing edge. they should have done a full flap replacement like they did with the -4 set (which are grossly incorrect as well)

wildcat183.jpg

But I do like the gunbays, lots of detail and potential.
I'm making the interior lacquer aluminum. I read somewhere, think it was the guild at IMPS Stockholm, and saw pictures that the interior of pre war aircraft were not painted all over Zinc Chromate or whatever primer. If I'm incorrect on this and you got sources backing it up, please let me know ASAP cause I'm about to start painting...B)

wildcat184.jpg

Guns will be inplace as if in maintenance. That of course means there will be no ammo in the ammo bins. And there may not even be ammo bins. I know on the -4 the ammo was installed inside the bins prior to being installed into the wing. the bins would be hoisted up into the wing and then just feed into the guns. I see no detail on the bottom of the wing for the access doors as they are on the -4 kit so I need to go back and read some more on this.

wildcat185.jpg

Would you believe I dropped this last night....:blink
wasn't a long drop and nothing damaged. So all is good. :mpup Yes, I cussed myself out so no need to do it now.

wildcat186.jpg

With one of the Aries guns installed. Going with it cause it has the breach door open. It also required opening the gun port on the leading edge some. there's a huge difference in size of the Aries gun and the kit supplied one. Hope Aries is right.

well if all looks good, I'll be starting in the paint shack with this, yellow chrome here we go!

Hot diggity damn!!!!

That is looking so freakin great. I do wish I had that kind of patience!!!!

Outstanding Moon, just outstanding!!!!:mpup :mpup :mpup :mpup :mpup:ro: :ro:

Hi MP. glad to see you got back to the Wildcat. It's looking very nice. (y) I'm not sure what to tell you about Aires except that when I have an interior for a specific model it never fits without major surgery. If it look like a picture, go for it ! B)

Thanks folks, Chris the Aries stuff is nice, very crisp details and not really that much work to make them fit other than the gun ports. I would not call it surgery by any means, there's been enough of that on this bird already. But compared to the other offerings i have in hand this is really the only choice. Besides, there's plenty of room in those gun bays.

Can't argue with the beautiful things they build. I have a fair pile of them here. Guess it might be different in 1/72 scale. Not much room for error in a fit.

Christian

Love the gun bays!!!! Of course the rest of the build is equally awesome also, can't wait to see the yellow wings on this beauty :notworthy :notworthy

Tom

Back