• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

Thank you Laura, there's plenty of time to screw up yet. Been known to happen you know.

Enamel Chrome Yellow folks. mixed a wee bit of gloss black for post shading. Thinking of pre shading on the fuselage. Truth be know, I have a test mule right beside it that I'm trying things on before putting it here.

Just have to pick what color tail. Really wish I could find my insignia red I had the other day. I know it was there, I used it!

Very nice! I wouldn't fret too much about the shinyness of the metal- you can always dull it down later. I find that really glossy modles just don't look right, but maybe that's just fat-headed me.

Cheers!
chuk

Damn straight! Actually I read a nice article by Juan Villalba of an F-3F that shows how he treated the "silver"- it's really on the matte end of things and looks great. I've searched hig and low for it on the web- no luck.

Funny you should say that. my test mule turned out just like that. A bit inconsistent but the effect was there, in some spots...OK the trick is to get the effect on purpose. :mpup

That's it then. I'm going with a flatten duraluminum finish. Didn't get anything done today but I"m staying up late to see what Chuck has for us!

Thank you gents, I'm still banging my head on the desk with this, on each and every step. I tried to spray a preshade tonight but the airbrush just did not cooperate with me. Maybe it had something to do with being used by strange hands this weekend....just saying...

Maybe it had something to do with being used by strange hands this weekend....just saying...

you allowed someone else to use your sotar? :blink

shame on you! what heresy! naughty corner! heavy duty naughty corner! you're so superduperheavydutynaughtycornered for that!

if i had a sotar or turbine, the last thing on earth would be that any else hands than mine would touch it!

Oh Hell No he didn't use the Sotar...the Renegade. I did find some nastiness clogged up in the head so I cleaned it out. My ultrasonic cleaner bit the dust back when I was disturbing the indian mound under my house. I have not replaced it yet. Maybe that should be on my short list.

wildcat188.jpg

Tried my hand at a little scratch building today. Been thinking about this for a while. this is suppose to be linkage from the cockpit to carb and intercooler duct work stuff. I think I'll have one more come up to be the cowl flap control but other than that, it's up to imagination.

wildcat189.jpg

Should have done it a long time ago.

wildcat191.jpg

The pivot point is a .5mm threaded bolt...yes, threaded. I place a .5mm washer, the lever, another washer, a spacer and moutn, another washer, the other lever, and end it off with a washer and .5mm nut...I said nut. Scale Hardware has nut drivers for this size but I made doe without. Pretty danged neat I think. Looks better in the picture than it does in person.

wildcat190.jpg

Oh and I squirted some paint. What do you think?

Question, I got Enamel on the Wings, Lacquer on the fuselage. I want a clear coat over all of it to do washes and what not. What will I be most safe with?

I don't know why but I have this hang up about using Future. But really, it's about the only thing that is not going to attack one medium or another. CAn't let this get too shiny. I got some flat base I can mix with the Future to knock the shine out.

MP< I also mix X-20A as I would any other Acrylic paint and no 10 to 15 % Galeria acrylic medium and it will lay down very nicely and still dry quick. Don't overdo the Galeria. Think you'll be happy. I also add X-21 flat base according to what finish I want.

Good luck B)

Back