• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

Nice work man , ........ don't forget the gun bay pic. I posted on ? page two of your build .

Manual cock , eletric fired .

OK, need some help. I know I have read it before but I can't find it anywhere. This yellow wing paint scheme was called, if I recall correctly, Maritime Patrol Scheme. The cowl colors and bands had specific meaning with their placement in the flight and squadron. Does anyone have the link to this information and the correct colors used per squadrons?

Bob I have the Monogram book on Navy paint during that era. I know it addresses stripe markings ect. Problem is we just got done moving all that stuff around the house. May be able to find what you need latter tonight if you give me the specifics.

Christian

OK, need some help. I know I have read it before but I can't find it anywhere. This yellow wing paint scheme was called, if I recall correctly, Maritime Patrol Scheme. The cowl colors and bands had specific meaning with their placement in the flight and squadron. Does anyone have the link to this information and the correct colors used per squadrons?

Bob I don't have link, but I do have information along these lines. What Sqd. were you thinking of doing? The tail, wing bands and cowl color were coded to the ship they were on.

Terry :hmmm

The prettiest....:mpup. I really wasn't sure which to do. What I wanted to see was the actual color call out for the scheme. There were some Time/Life pictures of pre war aircraft but searching their websites is a PITA, I never can find what I'm looking for.

The prettiest....:mpup. I really wasn't sure which to do. What I wanted to see was the actual color call out for the scheme. There were some Time/Life pictures of pre war aircraft but searching their websites is a PITA, I never can find what I'm looking for.

I will look sometimes you need to know the squadron.

Terry ;)

Here are the color specs. Still looking for pictures

US Navy Aircraft Identification Colors Before World War II
By Michael Benolkin
In the 1930s and into 1940, the US Navy employed a color marking scheme to enable pilots and ground observers to quickly identify any given aircraft. This involved a combination of colors and letters & numbers. For a look at the standard airframe colors used prior to WWII, refer to the Quarter Master 3-1 color tables.

Up until 1935, squadrons applied their own colors to the tails of their aircraft as a quick visual reference of squadron identification for any given ship. In October 1934 for example, the tail colors were as follows:

USS Lexington
Squadron Sqn ID Color
VF-2B Lemon Yellow
VF-5B True Blue
VS-3B Lemon Yellow
VB-1B Lemon Yellow
USS Saratoga
Squadron Sqn ID Color
VB-2B White
VF-6B White
VS-2B Lemon Yellow
VT-2B Insignia Red
USS Ranger
Squadron Sqn ID Color
VF-3B Willow Green
VS-1B Willow Green
VB-3B Willow Green
VB-5B Willow Green
USS Langley
Squadron Sqn ID Color
VS-14M Insignia Red
VS-15M True Blue

With the growing number of fleet carriers and associated number of squadrons, a directive was issued in 1935 to standardize tail colors to the aircraft carrier that the aircraft was assigned to:

1935-1937:
Carrier Sqn ID Color
USS Langley Insignia Red
USS Saratoga White
USS Ranger Willow Green
USS Lexington Lemon Yellow
USS Yorktown True Blue
USS Enterprise Black
After 1937:
Carrier Sqn ID Color
USS Yorktown Insignia Red
USS Saratoga White
USS Ranger Willow Green
USS Lexington Lemon Yellow
USS Enterprise True Blue
USS Wasp Black

Each squadron was divided into six sections, each section having three aircraft apiece. Each section was assigned its own color. That color was in the fuselage band, the cowl colors and the upper wing chevron. The entire cowl and fuselage bands are in color for the respective section leaders. The top half of the cowl received the color for the second aircraft in the section, and only the bottom half in color for the third aircraft. Note that while all three members of the section had the over-wing chevron, only the section leaders had the fuselage band.

On the side of each aircraft was number-letter-number code which indicated the squadron, type of squadron, and assignment in that squadron, respectively. For example, 4-F-1 was the squadron commanders aircraft for Fighting Four (VF-4). A 6-S-4 would indicate the second section leader for Scouting Six (VS-6).

Aircraft belonging to the squadron commander or section leaders (aircraft 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, and 16) had a colored fuselage band. The number-letter-number identifier would be centered on that color stripe.

The types of squadrons that were in service with the US Navy before WW2 included:

VB - Bombing
VF - Fighting
VH - Ambulance
VJ - General Utility
VN - Training
VO - Observation
VP - Patrol
VR - Transport
VS - Scouting
VT - Torpedo
VX - Experimental
Here is a complete squadron breakdown:

Aircraft
Number Section
Number Section
Position Color Cowl Example
1 1 1 Red Entire 4-F-1
2 1 2 Red Top 4-F-2
3 1 3 Red Bottom 4-F-3
4 2 1 White Entire 4-F-4
5 2 2 White Top 4-F-5
6 2 3 White Bottom 4-F-6
7 3 1 Blue Entire 4-F-7
8 3 2 Blue Top 4-F-8
9 3 3 Blue Bottom 4-F-9
10 4 1 Black Entire 4-F-10
11 4 2 Black Top 4-F-11
12 4 3 Black Bottom 4-F-12
13 5 1 Green Entire 4-F-13
14 5 2 Green Top 4-F-14
15 5 3 Green Bottom 4-F-15
16 6 1 Yellow Entire 4-F-16
17 6 2 Yellow Top 4-F-17
18 6 3 Yellow Bottom 4-F-18

In the late 1930s, squadron numbers were changed as squadrons were moved between aircraft carriers, so you'll need to do some homework as to which unit shield belongs to which squadron at any given time.

Terry ;)

Here's some color video I hope

"http://www.youtube.com/v/dgKC9VU1-n8?version=3"><param
"http://www.youtube.com/v/dgKC9VU1-n8?version=3"

[video size=100 width=425 height=344 type=youtube]dgKC9VU1-n8[/video]

Let's try this. Great footage there. Still looks like the yellow is more rich than the Chrome yellow that is called for.

Thanks Terry!

It looks GREAT! The gun bays, the engine... only problem is that you are taking too many breaks... Yeah, yeah, I know the pot calling the kettle black and all...

Regards,

I know what you're saying Saul...we're still waiting on that elusive shark update...

I have a better feeling about that Yellow Chrome, squirted the second coat tonight after dealing with some over looked scratches and the color is getting much more rich. Then I'll mask it off for it's on protection and start with some silver.

I know what you're saying Saul...we're still waiting on that elusive shark update...

My son is on me about that. There will be an update but no SBS since I need to get it done. I will just mark the photos with the changes made. He also went into the garage (my workshop) and found the AFV Club 'Eggish' airplanes and asked me to paint them! An update for them is coming too as I want HIM to try the airbrush.

Regards,

Someone moved my Insignia Red...

Would anyone out there take a stab at calling the Alcad color that best match Aluminum Lacquer color they used?

buzzz...wrong answer James. None in stock at the Casa da Dogwood hobby shop and garden shed. Time has come to paint and I'm bad impatient. I tested some Duraluminum, it's not as shiny and may pass muster.

wildcat187.jpg

Did I show you the Yellow Wings?

Back