• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

Harumphh...! :huh: that phrase about baiting needs to be singular. I had no part in that. I don't use any commercial wash !

Hey Bob that paint job really looks interesting and that linkage looks dinamite.

Cheers, Christian B)

That ain't what you said in private buster!

And that's fine, I really want the critical comments. Not going to hurt my feelings having them aired in public.

Chris pointed out correctly that these aircraft were not bare metal as this looks so far, but aluminum lacquer. To be honest, I got carried way when I saw how the alcadII was spraying...not by the fumes either...What I hope to do is a light overshot of the duraluminum, get the squadron bands and tail color and seal it up. Between the washes and filters I think it should tone down enough to look like paint again. If not...this is good practice for the NMF Mustang in the wings. I can always strip it. :D

Hey...what's that yellow wing thing on my workbench??

Waiting on Jerry Rutman to deliver the goods for the Mustang so I figured I'd poke at the old Yellow wing for a while. Did not realize it's been since November since this was updated.

wildcat196.jpg

Firewall and engine are mounted on the aircraft. Took strip brass and drilled holes about 2mm apart from each other, reason I used brass is the styrene would not stay together when drilled. I heated up the brass to make it pliable and secured it with CA.

wildcat197.jpg

I added some rigging and cabling, showing what I've learned since then and making use of Bob's Buckles to secure some lines to look like control cables.

wildcat198.jpg

this was a test of one of the kit parts, just to show how the guestimation of the engine mounts ended up being pretty danged close.

I have decided not to push this much further. Going to do the gun bays, decal and weather and call it done. I will not do the cowl flaps and frame work for the cowl. Just to much to do. One realization I have come to is, I picked the wrong subject to do this open panel monster on. There are other kits out there that would have opened up much more easily than this thing.

I love yellow wings!!! Don't stop just do a little at a time it looks good.

Terry B)

Looks good even if you are about to quit. Work on it a little at a time...

Regards,

Did I say I was quitting?? Said I was going to call it done. OK, I might try the cowl later, could always slip it on later when the Wildcat is finished.

OH OH!! Forgot to tell it, when rummaging through one of the Wildcat boxes I found the MIA tip of the Sotar airbrush..may have forgot to mention the MIA tip, a bit embarrassing ya know. Don't know if you ever priced one but that's a weeks worth of lunch for me!

Cool find then!

Regards and glad you are not quitting (just calling it done for the moment),

Hi Bob, I think it looks quite good for a complicated subject. I think along your lines about the cowl flaps. An awful lot of parts to be manufactured to make it look believable. At least it my $1.25 "s worth.

Cheers, Christian B)

it's a bit late perhaps, but I have to say this looks mighty fine. Leave it as it is and name it a WIP ... you'll never know

Back