• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

I hope a lot also! Should be a good bit exposed. The cowl flaps will be installed and the frame work up to the forward cowl and intakes. The forward cylinder heads will be covered some up to the valve covers.

Moon Puppy,
Pretty sweet, (for a wingy thingy)... :angry: :lol: :laugh:
Wow, you've got a lot of time and plastic, and everything else
invested in that thing. Looks great (although I'm not the one
that can really appreciate it). I'm going to have to show it to
the guys that know what you are talking about.
On a pure modelers point of view, it's awesome though.
Shawn

MP, I hope you don't mind my posting up the pix I took at the club meeting, what a cool build!

img_2910_20100521_1946816990.jpg

img_2912_20100521_1198136344.jpg

img_2911_20100521_1628496767.jpg

I can't wait to see the exhaust!

What you see of the exhaust is all there is except the tail pipes. Still not sure how I'll work that, couple of ideas floating but I think they need to wait till later. Great picture, makes a difference with a good camera, thanks Mike, yeah, I think I'm finally satisfied with the engine and the exhaust manifold. Now on to the back of the engine. I can see in your photo that the opening for the carb duct needs to be widen just a touch to make it symmetrical. unless I close it up with the duct work..more decisions...

Mike said you were really close to retiring so just how close are you Pup????

Retirement is a great life if you don't weaken. :eek:hmy:
Tony Lee :)

Great progress Bob!

HEHE was thinking for a moment I was looking at your F4 phantom for the braille scale groupbuild, first look at the picture made me think "what a strange engine for a F4" :laugh: Then I took my medication and it all looks much better now :gogo

Cheers Erik

I looked it up earlier, I started the first engine back in January. 5 months..

Well, was it worth the time?

Remember, this is what the kit looked like

F4F2115.JPG

This is sort of what I'm going for, except clean and well maintained.

js640_Airwing_F4F-3_011.jpg

And this is the result.

wildcat169.jpg

Little more plumbing to be done on the cylinder heads, lots of plumbing in the accessory bay, cowl works needs to be done. But I think a lot has been accomplished the last couple of days since I mated the engine halves together.

wildcat170.jpg

Here you can see my attempt at a carburetor and the duct work to it. Will work that peice up some more before making it final. Using lots of creative license here.

wildcat171.jpg

Trying to get it around so you can see the motor mounts attached to the mount ring. IT's the black things and there's a bolt stuck out the back of it. They actually push through the heat shield and mate up wth the motor mounting points on the engine it self. Turned out pretty neat if I say so myself. But who are those nice guys outside my door in the white jackets?? :woohoo:

wildcat172.jpg

wildcat173.jpg

Thanks for looking, suggestions and criticism is always welcome.

That heat shield is way too wide on the side, the intercoolers are going to be completely lost. I got to setup a computer down in the shop so I can see while I"m working.

I either need to get a computer down in the shop or a color printer to get this stuff. Going off memory did not serve me well on this.

t_VILU___WILDCAT_ENGINE_RIGHT.jpg
the trailing edge of the heat shield is far too wide. Now when I cut it down it will be obviously too far forward. Oh Well, if the voices in my head don't tell me to correct it I"m going with it as is and cut the side down where they need to be, maybe I can camouflage it where it's not so obvious.

Did you space it from the trailing edge? I'm confused. :$ And here I am crying over my stupid canopy!

Looks great, Moon! I always find that doing all the plumbing and wiring is the most fun. No, really! ;D

Cheers!
chuk

Yes, I did space it from the trailing edge. When I cut the wide section out and work in the frame work it will be too far forward for the side panel to fit. It would require me to remove the motor, shorten the braces from the firewall to the engine mount and replace the engine to correct. So, I'm going to fake it. shhhh...don't tell anyone.

Thanks guys, I cut the extra off and I think I'm going to be fine. Saul already said he's not coming around with a caliper so I ain't worried about it. I placed the kit panel to test fit and I'm about 1-1.5 mm of, that works out to just under 2 scale inches. But I have to put the frame work in so I doubt it really would be noticeable.

Lots of progress today, gear installed, some plumbing done, Chuck you're right, it's the most fun. All these brass bits and pieces sitting around makes for great fittings and connectors.

Beautiful job Pup , can't see any size-em-up problems from here , looks like a Wildcat , smells like a Wildcat , flies like a Wildcat , ............. so it must be a duck .

Thanks Glenn. I seriously doubt in the long run the error will be noticeable. If I really knew what I was doing I would have been able to nail this a couple of months ago. But the Next one....(who are those guys in their white lab coats looking in my window... :gogo )

Isn't it about time to order and rebuild another engine :laugh: :pinch: :S :evil: :laugh: .

Other than that, it looks super sweet ;) .

Gary B)

Back