• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

VF-162 MiG Killer - F-8E Crusader (1/72 Academy)

helios

Since there was some interest, I'll just start a thread here. Progress will be very sporadic...as it's not very high on my priority list at the moment.

From the "What's on the bench today" thread:

It's all Ian's fault. Absolutely 100% positively! :tomato

First a little background... Fall '14 I set underway with an 1/72 Academy F-8E build to take part in a MiG killers GB on another site (this may look familiar to those from MBI). This was my first model attempt since 1994. I was overtaken by the excitement of all the available aftermarket and ended up procuring cockpit, gear well, and engine sets from Aries. After getting the cockpit built and starting to modify the fuselage for fitment I ended up splitting the canopy in half. Between the sudden disappointment in myself & getting busy with work I ended up putting everything back in the box...to collect dust on the shelf.

Seeing Ian's gorgeous F-8 take shape got me thinking about my long stalled project. While waiting for the primer on the Jaguar to dry, I decided to go pull the kit off the shelf and take a look. One thing led to another, and before I knew it I had chisel in hand cleaning up around the cockpit. Then fired up the airbrush & shot some white for the intake. Now that I was on a roll, I decided not to stop and keep plucking away. In went the cockpit, intake, gear wells...finishing up with the closing of the fuselage halves. I don't know how long it will be before I pick this one up again, as the Jaguar & Vigi have priority, but it felt good to make some headway in the proper direction with this one.

Thanks a million for the inspiration & kick in the ass Ian. Much appreciated. Cheers. :drinks :drinks

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

Where it all began.

The Aries pit mid assembly (prior to dry brushing)...not the greatest, I've done better since.

Updates will be sporadic...but it was nice to make some forward headway on this after 1.5 years.

:blush: Don't think anybody has quoted one of my builds as an "inspiration" before... Best of luck matey, I'll keep track of this one. Are you building Dick Bellingers' machine ??

Ian.

Yep. That's the one. Maybe I'll finally get around to finishing it 2 some odd years later. :laugh:

:pilot

How is that kit?

It's actually a very nice kit. I would do another one without hesitation. Good detail. Very nice engraved panel lines. Parts fit well w/ minimal gaps. 2 thumbs up from this scrub. (y)

In hindsight...I don't think I would bother w/ all the resin "upgrades" I opted for on this one. Yes it's a little nicer...but there really isn't a huge improvement. The kit detail is more than adequate. It was the first kit I purchased when I decided to get back into this...and got over-excited w/ all the little add-ons that were available. :smack

In fact...I likely will end up with another at some point. It's been that much of a joy assembling...even with a bit of extra fiddling due to the resin cockpit. I've also got a 1/72 Hasegawa kit inbound that I picked up second hand. I'll be able to compare the 2 directly...but I'll be surprised if the Hasegawa kit is any better. Hell, it's got it's work cut out just to get to it's level. I've seen a fair number of 1/48 kits w/ less detail. :rotf

I highly recommend the Academy kit if you're in the market for a small scale Crusader. :drinks

So whilst I await my book for the Vigi, and for the decals to dry on the Jag I decided to pull this one out again.

A little more progress. Getting close to color. :frantic

DSCF2040.JPG

Almost could pass for an inflight formation. Ain't nothing like picking up a model and working on it again after a long hiatus. So I have a dumb question. Is the F-8 and the A-7 related? Because they sure look alike.

Tim

They are made by the same company, Vought/LTV. So I'm sure they took some aspects of the F-8 that worked well in service and applied them to the A-7.

The A7 is based on the F8. The A7 is a bit smaller but I guess Vought saved money on the design side just using the same drawings..:rotf

Dredging this one from the past. I should've taken some pictures, but I've starting making some headway on this again. It's now mostly painted, and started the decals. Which is where I hit a snag. The kit decals (with I needed for the basic/universal markings) are horrid. Super thick and unable to get to lay down despite repeated attempts to hit it with Gunze Mr. Softer (which is known to be a bit on the hot side). I've managed to get Hasegawa and even Tamiya decals to cooperate with this stuff...but not these. Going to be some paint repair after I get the decals cleaned off, especially since I tend to keep paint coats pretty light nowadays. Fortunately I started with the national insignias, so all the airframe specific markings are still good.

Back