• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Fw 190 D9

Do all the parts mods and then assemble. Looks like the Aires cockpit should fit fairly well though it looks a bit different than the kit one.
If you go with aftermarket wheel wells, be wary of how they affect wing dihedral.

Regards,

If you go with aftermarket wheel wells, be wary of how they affect wing dihedral.

Regards,
Nope, I take the existing units and mod them. If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be an open area in the center into the fuselage Will have to double check that for the D9. I did this same type mod on the 1/48th Trimaster Fw190 R11 Night Fighter. Thus I am already ahead on what I am going to do.

Finally time for an update. Have done quite a bit in just the last couple of days. If I can keep going like this should easily be able to finish in time.

Here is the update. I think you will find some rather crazy stuff here for a 1/72 build.

mmm2022-11.jpg

mmm2022-12.jpg

mmm2022-13.jpg

mmm2022-14.jpg

mmm2022-15.jpg

mmm2022-16.jpg

mmm2022-17.jpg

mmm2022-18.jpg

Actually, while the parts are quite small I had very little trouble with them. Just used one of my finest tweezers and a really wide set that I used kind of like a vise. To remove the little knob left from clipping from the fret I learned a long time ago to use a small 1200 grit diamond hone to clean them off. It is so fine that it doesn't grab the PE and yet it will remove the clip tab with just a few light swipes. With the parts held securely in the vise tweezers, it was easy to clean the parts up really crisp even though they are quite small.

Fantastic work Paul ( note to self, buy some decent tweezers)
when i was in toolmaking we used to have tweezers that could be locked so you could lightly clamp something which just made it easier to hold small items.

Fantastic work Paul ( note to self, buy some decent tweezers)
when i was in toolmaking we used to have tweezers that could be locked so you could lightly clamp something which just made it easier to hold small items.
You might check out this thread I did on tweezers and how to resharpen them.

TOOL TIME - Tweezers

If you want I will post photos of the tweezers I used to handle and shape these items.

Paul, I build in 1/72 scale regularly and exclusively and yet your work is putting all mine to shame! You are a braver man than I Gunga Din! Magnificent clean work man!

Did not feel all that well this weekend. As the weekend went on got to feeling better though, just not really any build mojo at the moment. I am making good progress on this and it should be a lot closer to being done, just as I said no real desire to build. I am making some progress though.

Have the tiny cockpit all assembled, painted and installed. It was easier to glue the fuselage halves together, line things up, then install the cockpit tub from underneath. I still have a little more work underneath as I opened up the wheel wells and some light can barely be seen through the front corners.

mmm2022-19.jpg

mmm2022-20.jpg

mmm2022-21.jpg

mmm2022-22.jpg

Nest bit is to install the main wing and the cowl flaps have to be bent open and set. I also removed the molded in gun tips from the upper cowling in front of the cockpit.
Thanks for looking in.

Nice work Paul!
Thanks Bob! I had a good evening tonight, got something important done, then went in and worked on the D9 for a couple of hours. Made 4 brass machine guns. (two for the cowling, and two 20mm for the wings)

Looking great Paul!
Thanks for looking in Dave! Also managed to do some more work on the wheel wells and made more parts to go in there. Next step is to do something with the center area and greebly it up to look like the rear of the engine etc.

I have some pics taken of the gun barrels, I like the look of the blackened brass. Looks more like a metal barrel than anything painted. It's just a step by step thing. If I can keep doing a little each evening, I can make it.

I got real busy last night and managed to get a bit done. Alas, I am going to have to be doing real work this weekend so this isn't going to finish in time. If I had not felt so crappy a lot of the month I know I could have easily managed this being done even with my mods. Just not happening this year.
Anyway here is an update. I might still get it done, but doubtful as there isn't going to be enough time for paint and decals to all set up.

mmm2022-23.jpg

mmm2022-24.jpg

mmm2022-25.jpg

mmm2022-26.jpg

I have enjoyed building on this so far. It has also been a bit of a departure for some of my scratch work. In this case I am not trying to get it accurate, but am just trying to get "the look". Doing some rough scratch work to get the effect I want and it is looking pretty good I think so far. Especially since the model only has a small 5 1/2 inch wingspan.

Thanks for looking in.

Nice work Paul! Don't worry, due to a whole mess of issues, I won't be finishing mine either.... again! :facepalm:

And I'm supposed to be the Duke of Braille Scale! :bash: :bm:

I am still working on this and now that time has run out I am starting to make progress. I added some more greeblies to the cavity and painted it gloss black. Then added some light dusting of RLM02 and silver to bring up some of the parts. Then glued the wing in place and it looks a lot different from the stock part.

mmm2022-27.jpg

mmm2022-28.jpg

mmm2022-29.jpg

mmm2022-30.jpg

mmm2022-31.jpg

Yeah I got lucky. I was using a Q-tip and lightly rubbing on the paint, and stroked over the plastic and saw something wrong. Rather than continuing, I stopped and quickly figured out "Holy Crap Batman!" and started blowing on it to make it dry faster. Then used some old "Easy off" paint stripper made by Polly S that I "SHOULD" have used to begin with. Anyway it looks much worse than it actually is and some light sanding should smooth it back out correctly. At least it isn't a bare metal finish.

Dumb :bash: Dumb :bash: Dumb :bash: Dumb :bash:

Back