• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Classic Airframes Fw 190V1

jeaton01

It was a welcome surprise to see this one appear and I did not wait to get one as resin kits usually have short production runs. MPM made a 1/72 kit in 1995 that used the same box art. It is a well cast resin kit with white metal gear.
0013fw190.jpg

0033fw190.jpg

The V-1 resin parts superimposed over and next to Tamiya F-8 parts. The V-1 and other early Fw 190's had BMW 139 engines that did not develop into a successful design. The 139 was the same diameter but shorter and lighter than the BMW 801. When the change was made to the BMW 801 the cockpit was moved back and the forward fuselage was lengthened. The forward fuselage was slightly lengthened again on the A-4 and that was the last fuselage length change until the Jumo and Daimler powered versions. Because the 801 was heavier, and because of other weight increasing changes planned, the wing was re-designed to a larger area, with more span and less taper to bring the stall speed and maneuverability back to the level of the prototype. The BMW 139 had serious heating issues and with the original engine and forward cockpit position temperatures reached 50 degrees centigrade at the rudder pedals.

0043fw190.jpg

The canopy had a much longer clear area than production versions.

0063fw190.jpg

The parts removed from the pour blocks. I washed up to get any mold release removed. I also reworked an area of the right fuselage half that had a sort of bulge below the windscreen, not sure how that came about but it's all good now. Looks like fit of the major parts is pretty good.

A fine looking casting, save the mold flaw below the canopy! Will your propeller spin as usual on the early Butcher?

Jury is still out on whether the prop will spin, but it is likely.

Yeah, I find that resin kits often have fewer parts than plastic.

I made some decals for the instrument panels on this one, using a Yahoo panel but resized. There is some dithering visible in the photos but if you look up close at Eduard and other products there almost always is. The smaller panel is only about 1/2 inch wide so since you won't be able to see it tucked up under the glareshield it will be fine. Way better than my shaky hands can paint!

0073fw190.jpg

Yes, the prop will spin! There was no provision for a prop shaft and I don't like props that are not removable so I installed a music wire shaft in the prop hub and a brass bearing in the fuselage, which has been glued together. The cockpit can be fit from the bottom and it has also been verified that the wing to fuselage fit is good to go, which involved a lot of test fit and trimming on the cockpit tub.

0083fw190.jpg

There was some chasing of my tail because I lost the front fairing for the spinner. Of course I looked everywhere, cleaned everything up, all that. Finally gave up and made a new one out of Epoxysculpt. As I was finishing it up, I dropped it, still haven't found it. But as I started looking I found the original part out in the middle of the floor. How I didn't step on it over the last day I have no idea. Somebody up there is seeing if I am related to Job, perhaps. Since most of the trimming and fitting of parts is done assembly should go forth now. Until the Fates strike again.

0093fw190.jpg

0103fw190.jpg

0113fw190.jpg

That's funny with the mia part. I launched a engine nacelle on the Comet the other day, sounded like it bounced all over the shed. I started looking at it landed just 6 inches from me on the work bench.

Back