• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Bf109-4-7 Tropical Epic Fail!

Tamiya Bf109-4-7 Tropical

Quick question for y'all. Call out in the instructions say light blue under the slats, is that right? What color would be inside the flaps and leading edge of the flaps?

I must say that cockpit looks fantastic! (y)

As to your question about the color under the slats...for that period of time in the war James advice is correct, RLM 02 was the most common color used but the instructions may not be totally wrong, there were some wing and fuselage components that were base coated with RLM 76 instead of RLM 02 before the camouflage colors were sprayed on, why this happened I have no idea but its interesting that Tamiya would recommend light blue for this area on their kit.

Matrixone

Thanks Les, didn't spend much time on the cockpit, just RML2 base then a simple wash of Vallejo black, let that dry and then dry brush Humbrol Metalcote aluminum.

If that particular aircraft was manufactured after October 1940 the cockpit would be RLM 66. Wheel wells and the areas under the slats would still be 02. You would have to check the Wk number to be sure though and a lot of 109s got repainted during overhaul and repair.

I'm having a rivet counter moment here. If you go withe the flaps down and slats out don't forget to droop the ailerons. They should rest at about 11 degrees down.

Thanks Greg, too late on the cockpit, RLM2 all around, pressing forward...:soldier

I just caught up with your thread, No worries. Got into long tutorial on another forum about my 109 being a piece of crap because of the cockpit color. the plane was destroyed before the 66 was introduced. got a lesson on the flaps and slats too

Assembled and primed.

h3e89c79.jpg

BTW, the IP sitting to the left if for the Silverwings P6-E Hawk. :dance

hf6dab5f.jpg

Squirted a little RLM2 up in the wheel wells and behind the slats and flaps.

Speaking of RLM2.
I found a Modelmasters Acrylic RLM2 and compared it with Vallejo RLM2.

h33356de.jpg

The lighter color is Modelmaster. What's up with that?

Bob,
Nothing wrong with the RLM 02 samples in your picture...there were TWO known versions of RLM 02, one was darker than the other. Choose whichever version you prefer and use it, if anybody complains and says its wrong ask them to prove its wrong. I bet they can't. :tomato

Matrixone

I'll just refer them to you Les, and hold your hat while you take them to task. (y)

I kinda like the lighter one but i'm already committed to the Vallejo flavor.

I just love all these self appointed experts :rotf I'm not even sure the Germans know what color was what during the latter part of the war.

Particularly once the factories got split up and the forced labor taking place :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

Back