• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P38J

I would Master the f-ing thing to fit the model, THEN I would actually build the kit, with the castings, to prove it did, IN FACT fit the friggin' model I made it for! After that you might get 6 pages of instructions that tell you how I did it, Ronald Reagan-style.

Ol' Eduard seems to have gotten too big for their boots. Wonkers!

"But on the other hand, you could always use the 'ol carpenter's rule, "If it don't fit, beat it in with a hammer"😮"

Hmm, we used to say bash to fit and paint to match in the airplane shop.

Well here are the results of my highly technical test :)

_DSC9140.JPG

The pit nearest the camera is the kit part, note how the seat sits lower and the amour plate is angled forward, the whole deal is 1mm narrower.

_DSC9141.JPG

Detail is probably finer on the eduard part, probably more relevant in 1/32 but given the small cockpit opening its not really a consideration in 1/48 here. Again you can see the Eduard seat is too high and the controls on the left are too far forward which means they fouled the instrument panel ( I have cut some of the controls off to fit the panel)....which sort of defeats the object of upping the detail if it becomes inaccurate and needs to be trimmed.

My thinking is after market parts that are additions like engines and gun bays are a good thing but after market that just relaces kit parts, on high quality kits like the main stream Chinese and Japanese kits are probably just an unnecessary complication.
A detail up part need to be accurate to be worthwhile and as soon as you have to cut ,chop ,file the part it becomes less accurate so defeats the object

I found the photos of my ill fated Lightening over Europe but the build is not on this website. Must have been on the old one. I see some images where I put some markups cut here and trim to fit there. I see marks in the image that confirm what you're running into.

1716819835501.png

I think I was pointing out if we trim the lh console and side wall that it may push the offending parts back. There's another image where I point out triming the back wall.

Looking at your photos, it's the same resin. After all this time they have not corrected the cockpit yet they still sell it. I know folks have told me I'm being unfair to Eduard for holding grudge but knowing they have a flawed product that they continue to sell after it was pointed out to them. over 12 years ago? That's shameful.

I hoped they had re drawn the parts on a modern system to transfer then to a 3d printer but as you say it looks like they took the old cast resin drawings and used them..

We live and learn and i wouldn't ever bother with their replacement parts again. If you need an engine or something there is little option but as replacement parts there is not a great advantage. Its a testament as to how good people like Border models and Tamiya have become with injection mouldings.

Success
needs some refinement but its in and its in line and everything has joined up. Took a lot of "witling" but its there :)

I used the kit cockpit in the end

_DSC9150.JPG

I wonder where the other ammo feed has gone.....oh well, i was thinking of leaving the cowling down on this side.....

I have to say, full marks to Tamiya here, the fit of the parts is exemplary, there is a reason why some consider them the Rolls Royce of kits.
Also a lot of thought gone into the build so there are no seams on the leading edges and all sprue attachments are on the "Glued" faces.
Its nice to have a period of hassle free building while the Eduard parts take a back seat.

_DSC9157.JPG

It's even starting to look like an airplane ....well like a P-38 anyway :)
When's the end of this group build ? will i make it in time ?

They definitely weren't all perfect.

A C-47 stripes masked for width and then hand brushed.
C47 ID Stripes.jpg

88 Sqn Boston
Bostom ID Stripes.jpg

F-5 Lighting. It looks like the wing stripes were applied perpendicular to the wing leading edge not parallel to the aircraft centreline. The boom stripes don't appear to be perfectly aligned either.
p38 ID Stripes.jpg

From an RAF memoir, when the order came down to apply the stripes, the crew did an immaculate job of masking and painting the CO's aircraft. As they progressed down the line and time got closer to fuel and arm the aircraft for morning launch, the stripes got much rougher.

Cheers,
RichB

Back