• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P38J

For me its a scale problem because even a really wavy edge is going to look pretty straight and good in 1/48.
In reality ground crews were really proud of their personal aircraft and probably did a reasonable job

download (1).jpeg

Stripes_DDayBomb.jpg

a half inch wavey edge in real life would look pretty bad but to 1/48 scale it would be about .010" ( 0.4mm)

Tamiya describe this as "masking stickers" plural

Its one sticker, its not die cut so pretty much useless unless you can cut out 2mm circles for the landing lights with scissors.....

_DSC9166.JPG

So here we are
6th June 2024 , 80 years on from D-day when 4500 US, British and Canadian troops died on the Normandy beaches in France.
coverage here is in full swing with flypasts historic vehicles and soldiers commemorating and Celebrating.
On the TV we see restored landing craft from the US, restored fast patrol and torpedo boats from the UK. DUKW driving up the Normandy beaches and of course the obligatory politicians looking suitably concerned as they are trained to do at times like this.
Even our Cancer suffering King has arrived on Gold Beach apparently against the orders of the Doctors, to play his part.

And here is my P-38 in its D-Day stripes ( bit rough round the edges but i wanted to get them painted for today)

_DSC9181.JPG

_DSC9187.JPG

I went with 10mm masking tape in the end which equates to about 19" bands, not spot on but pretty close and they look right which is half the battle, will look better when dry and matt coated and weathered.

Well thats was an adventure thanks Eduard :) Did my best with it and dont look too hard and its 0k :)

of course its a tail sitter, when you think i had to leave out 20g or weights its hardly surprising but you cant have it all if you are going to fill the voids with plastic parts instead of steel. Spurious scheme as i didnt like the kit decals, this one is Happy, one day i might build Grump and Sleazy :)

_DSC9219.JPG
_DSC9222.JPG
_DSC9224.JPG
_DSC9225.JPG
_DSC9226.JPG
_DSC9227.JPG
_DSC9235.JPG
_DSC9227.JPG
_DSC9228.JPG
_DSC9229.JPG
_DSC9231.JPG

Back