• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P38J

paddy

Thought i had better stake my claim to a space here for my Tamiya P38J 1/48

sgkdmrxc2eq.jpg

I think i might have gone a little overboard with the extras but i will give them a go :)

_DSC9036.JPG
_DSC9037.JPG
_DSC9039.JPG

_DSC9040.JPG
_DSC9038.JPG
_DSC9042.JPG

_DSC9041.JPG

Eduard will need to change their Logo packaging where they cross out Brass and put Resin as these are all 3D printed parts. That said i suppose 3D could be considered resin but they need to differentiate between resin moulded and resin printed.

Anyway i am currently lying in a darkened room trying to recover from the personal trauma of my failed attempt at an E-type :) which may take several days but i will look at what i bought here soon, just maybe sitting down with a panic button to hand.... :)

Have a pint and get back on it Paddy! You gave that Jag a good whippin! Let's see this forked tailed devil come alive. :popcorn

I have been impressed with what I have seen of Eduard's Brassin in recent years. Have a number of the BMW 801 engines that are just so VERY nice.

Can't hardly wait to see what you do with all these goodies.

Popcorn - Bugs 2.gif

Off we go then.....i decided to start with the engine because there is a lot of cutting to do to the basic kit and i dont want to do that till i know i have succeeded with the Eduard stuff....just hedging my bets :)

It took 2 hours just to separate the parts from their print frames :)
_DSC9046.JPG
_DSC9050.JPG

_DSC9055.JPG

This is just 2 parts..the problem with this is ,unlike the Aires stuff with separate block, cylinders and rocker boxes etc this one piece system makes painting more tricky.​

Off we go then.....i decided to start with the engine because there is a lot of cutting to do to the basic kit and i dont want to do that till i know i have succeeded with the Eduard stuff....just hedging my bets :)

It took 2 hours just to separate the parts from their print frames :)
View attachment 169683 View attachment 169684

View attachment 169685

This is just 2 parts..the problem with this is ,unlike the Aires stuff with separate block, cylinders and rocker boxes etc this one piece system makes painting more tricky.​
You are feckin insane, old man. All that small fiddly stuff. I can't wait until this goes together.

Paddy should have been a watchmaker. Get out your 5X watchmaker's loupe, binocular microscope, and the high magnification optivisor. :bigrin:

looking forward to seeing what you do with this Paddy.

3D-eye lenses.gif

The engine has progressed to near done. I'm quite impressed with the 3D print but dont know if in this case i prefer it to the old resin casting method. This engine is not an easy build and its pushed me to my limits. The resin cast engines involve a lot more parts, these 3d prints can get more detail in a single part as you dont have to consider how to get it out of the mould. My issue really is in this scale ( the whole assembly is about 1" long and 35 parts) the location points are near invisible and the instructions are next to useless for accurate positioning. Get something wrong and it throws the rest of the build out

_DSC9058.JPG

DSC_0437.JPG

Still waiting for its exhaust to turbo piping

Great progress Paddy

Adapting these parts into any kit is not for the faint of heart, if you can't make it fit no one will.

VERY NICE Paddy! I agree with you on the amount of detail that is there and how difficult it must be to get it together and correct. Eduard has really upped their game in recent years. The only problem I ever see with these tiny builds (not yours) is the paint. The smaller the build the more precise, thin, and smooth the paint needs to be. That really becomes a matter of super skill to do and get right. You have become quite good at this!
3D-Painter.gif

I know where you are coming from Paul, its one of the reasons i was so pleased to find MRP paints because their pigment is really fine.
Once you start taking macro pictures a world of disasters opens up :) especially with paint, of course the reality is no one sees a 1inch long engine suddenly 4-5 inches long as in the photos in real life but it is a great way to see where you made a mash up of something ?

Here it is with the exhaust manifold fitted

_DSC9081.JPG

_DSC9082.JPG

I may be about to commit a heinous crime but i am going with a fictional scheme with this. I want to use olive green, i want to add D-Day markings as its the 80th anniversary in 3 weeks time. Nose art is irrelevant as i will remove the panels from the nose... and i did look at after market decals of what i wanted to do and they were £20 ($26) with postage. which is half the price of the complete model from Tamiya....:mad:

Back