• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sturmovik

OK what about now?

If coverage is ok I'll seal it with a gloss and do some panel wash.

Plan on dirtying up the wing root where crew enters.

h4dabfee.JPG

hfd8b711.JPG

hf1931e5.JPG

h37340b6.JPG

Whatcha think?
Flippen Beautifull (y)

Bob,
That looks much better!

Before you add the dirt stains maybe try using a small paint brush and add some wear marks on the wing roots by using the original upper surface color, if done right this will give the illusion of the winter white paint wearing off exposing the camouflage paint underneath. Also the leading edges of the wings and tail surfaces might benefit from some light weathering similar to that of the wing roots...but keep it subtle for the best results.

Matrixone

Thanks Les, I can do the same thing with some fine sanding or even a dried brush of thinner, very light like you said. I tried this on one of the earlier attempts but it was overdone. Subtle is the key right?

Still zoned out over here. Might try to slip down to the garage this afternoon.

I think the panels are a little more defined now.

I went back and touched up the white just a bit, some of the wash stained the white.

h82f1cfb.JPG

h1c4bcb9.JPG

Thoughts?

Looking nice Bob ! (y) Once again, we are dealing with so many variables.... I like what Less said earlier. :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking at your photos on my phone so not really getting the 'full effect'. Will have a better idea when i fire-up the pc later this evening.

Ian.

...OK now I can see.
:hmmm ,so it's your project so you feel free to disregard this, but 'to me' it looks too balanced,it's perfect each side completely matches the other - I'd introduce some measure of randomness in the covering of the whitewash, and/or maybe chuck-in a replacement aileron or wingtip, something to mix-it-up a wee bit...

...OK, my two penn'arth and probably worth less than that. Back yo you, Bob.

Ian

Thanks Ian, probably too late make something look replaced though that would make it look interesting. Going to seal this up and do some streaking effects. :popcorn

Thank you Warren.

Did some more work that ended up causing me to redo a good bit on the tail. Got another clear coat on and will do some more weathering from there.

I was thinking, it's amazing I haven't got frustrated or bored with this one. This much time and I'm no further along than I am...go figure. :huh

Thank you Warren.

Did some more work that ended up causing me to redo a good bit on the tail. Got another clear coat on and will do some more weathering from there.

I was thinking, it's amazing I haven't got frustrated or bored with this one. This much time and I'm no further along than I am...go figure. :huh

HAHAHA ! Just how long has it been now ? Three or four days ? The Kremlin was not built overnight :rotf

Hang in there Bob . We don't get paid on production work here :fencing

It would have been faster and easier to paint it plain green but so what ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Not wasted, valuable experience doing WWII Soviet camo :smack Even total failures are a learning experience and should not be considered wasted. Only wasted if you repeat your mistakes !

There were not a lot of all green IL-2's . Those were the early birds and look different than what you see on the market.

This bird is a learning experience in more realistic finishes and developing patience.

Glad you're taking it well :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Back