• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Silverwings Curtis P6-E Hawk Build

I didn't see where you said what the OD was, if it was enamel I could under stand that reaction if acrylic :idonno

Some ugly orange peel there Know you will get it right :popcorn

Not orange peel. Looks more like the layers of paint are reacting to one another. :sick:

That's exactly why I keep talking about using coats of Future in between different materials. Future is neutral.

Cheers, Christian B)

I didn't see where you said what the OD was, if it was enamel I could under stand that reaction if acrylic :idonno

Humbrol Khaki Drab. I don't get it, it went on fine on the other side.

I know Chris, I know.... :facepalm

Dave I got a bit of orange peal on the black, light sanding should take care of that I think.

Soon as the drab cures I'll give it a light sanding and use an Acrylic gloss coat this time. :facepalm

I'm wondering if you are not going to have to patch in that spot :hmmm

If anyone can do a good fix you can (y)

Loving the build.

You are walking a thin line whenever you do lacquers over enamels, you probably got it on just a little heavier in that one spot and that's all it takes. I hate intermediate clear coats as they add another step where something can go wrong but when mixing chemistries sometimes it's good insurance.

Maybe you need to start from the very beginning, like Mary Poppins, temperas no, crayons no, definitely not alclad. Just kidding, Bob, I think you will find out what it is that went amiss. Back when I was learning to paint in my navy days :drunk when the chief kicked my keister :facepalm :smack for putting lacquer on enamel the result didn't quite look like what you have. Mine was worse, I think you will knock it out of the park anyway.

@Paul...:rotf

We have Yellow Wings. :frantic

haf462cd.jpg

h90fb558.jpg

hee5f013.jpg

Would you believe they are just dry fitted into place right now? That speaks to the quality of the Silverwings kits.

Yellow #4, I got a Polyscale paint that had it on the label but I'm not really sure if it's right, that's what the instructions called for but the FS numbers don't match up. Polyscale is giving me trouble. Thinned with WATER! Nice milky consistency to it in the jar and in the color cup but it starts spitting out chunks, like it's drying in the bottom of the color cup.

I got Chrome Yellow but that's not what's called for, whatcha'll think? Good enough and press on or what? It's a dead flat right now, I'm going to do a light sanding and then gloss coat Acrylic! :facepalm

When I did that P-6 a few months back I mixed my own color. I think you could do that here and no one would be the wiser for it.

It's testing my memory, but I recall the 'yellow wings' machines at Dayton are quite a 'lemon' shade, but the lighting in those halls is deceptive.

Ian.

It's testing my memory, but I recall the 'yellow wings' machines at Dayton are quite a 'lemon' shade, but the lighting in those halls is deceptive.

Ian.

I think this is going to be ok, I did a light sanding and the tone changed, think when I get a gloss coat on it it will make a difference.

Back