• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Silverwings Curtis P6-E Hawk Build

Size is relative.

hae2d98a.jpg

They aint' that big. :skipper

Christian the arrow head shapes on the side of the fuselage represent zippered access points

p628c.jpg

I hope Bob doesn't mind me butting in but I spent a lot of time last week looking at the real McCoy.

I suspect they were doped over during restoration because they knew they probably would never be opened again, I don't think the ground crew would have been happy had they been doped over while in service

Well yes Bob but even the spear head brass on the fuselage has me wondering what the purpose might be for some thing that large.

Oh! That's what you're talking about.

Could have been worse, I think I was suppose to use the crescent shaped ones for the bird I"m building. :bang head

Gary you're more than welcome to chime in here.

Like to thank you again for getting those pictures, I'm going to upload them to the gallery tonight so all can see them. :drinks

Hummm, another detail for Bob to do. Shouldn't be too tough since they're already brass.

Cheers, Christian B)

It does look grand, Bob. Just stay away from the alclad and every thing will be just right. :D

It does look grand, Bob. Just stay away from the alclad and every thing will be just right. :D

:facepalm :bang head :bang head :bang head

I will Paul, I'll also MASTER That damn scheme one day... :eek:ldguy :bat

This is the upper wing. I had to drill out the hole for the support rod some as it was off center just a bit, maybe 1.5 mm, no big issue, I can fill it up with CA and when it cures it'll be solid as a rock.

he90dcaa.jpg

Notice how tight the joint is.

h9d91629.jpg

Here's your earrings Warren. :rotf You see my symmetry affliction showing here, can't get those to things to line up. Free lifetime membership to anyone who can guess what those are.

h1bb42ae.jpg

Nice snug fit with the wing root. This is why I think I'm going to paint everything separate and assemble after painting.

Gary we were talking about the cresent shaped thing on the rudder.

P61224.jpg

ha9244b3.jpg

It is the housing for the tail light. When looking at the picture I thought the black was spray paint or something, really threw me off.

And if you want to see more photos of the real thing click here

https://www.modelersalliance.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1623

Big thanks to Old Dog Gary for getting these shots for me last Thursday. :drinks Can't wait to see the other shots you got!

My guess, an early in flight toilet :rotf

Cheers, Christian

Damn, that was going to be my guess!! (but why would they need two??)

:rotf

OK but I ain't weathering that shi....stuff. :facepalm

I'm thinking Flare ports. I know in the earlier birds they would rig flare dispensers for landing at night, make a pass over what they think is the field, drop a flare and light it up.

(y)

I have a 1/48 scale kit of this aircraft so watching your build is kinda sparking an interest in digging it out

Yeah Sherman I have the old Aurora kit which is supposed to be 1/48 as well. I doubt I would ever build it, but there is always a thought.

Bob, the build looks like it is going quite well for you! You are making me think really hard about building the He51B floatplane kit I have from Silver Wings. The slight warp on the floats and the fuselage I believe was due to ordering it in the middle of summer. Ugh! :bang head

Back